G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could have your choice of what you would want for a steam locomotive in large scale what would it be??????????????????
Mine will be this... the finest steamer to ever grace the rails.. my opoinion of course, but whos going to tell me im wrong...
he he he
Nick

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
"You're wrong" (just kidding!) Actually, that particular design looks like "Art Deco" for steam engines (for some reason it reminds me of the movie Metropolis...)

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
That's because it WAS Art Deco for steam engines, and probably the finest example ever. The J3-A has always been one of my favorite steame engines of all time.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Friends,
Mine would be a K-27 or K-28 in 1:22.5 scale to go with the rest of my rolling stock!

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
SP Cabforward of Course!!
We moved to the left coast in 1944, saw my 1st Cab Forwords in Needles, Calif, coming from Indiana/Illinois was a first!, still like them, have an HO Akane AC-10,
but will proboby never be able to afford a LS model......dream dream

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would like Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes #24, which is available, but light-years out of my price range.

Jeff C

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
boring! ha ha ha!

Nick, I like your first suggestion... wild looking.. wasn't that designed by the same guy who designed the GG-1

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
While not as elegant as the Dreyfuss Hudson and the Loewy K-4, my nod goes to the Reading Crusader. The Reading served my home town, Palmyra, Pennsylvania, so this Pennsylvania Dutchman chooses the Pennsylvania Dutch streamliner. The hogger probably had to talk Pennsylvania Dutch to a Reading locomotive, or it would not respect him. (OBTW Gregg, Loewy was the designer for the GG1, not Dreyfuss. But it's sometimes hard to remember which industrial designer streamlined which road's locomotives.) The Crusader locomotives were home-brewed, and have been called "prototype tinplate" locomotives by one columnist for Railroad Model Craftsman. Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so they are beautiful to me.

Ironically, Aristo proposed a Crusader in their 1991 catalog. I still have the catalog for that year. The litigation with LGB over track drained the funds that would have gone into development of the Crusader locomotive, and it was still born. Please excuse the poor quality of the photos. I cannot suppress the flash on my digital camera - the control button to the flash menu no longer responds. However, black electrical tape may be used with impunity. So I must choose between over exposure or under exposure. This time I chose under exposure, but you can still make out most of the detail. The catalog photo of the Crusader was poor to begin with.

Perhaps someday Aristo will dust off their old plans. The locomotive would sure look good with their fluted streamliners.

Today I live in the home of another top-notch streamliner, N&W Class J 611, and the community is Roanoke, Virginia. The Js were also a home-brew streamliner. Some wide radius curves would be needed to accomodate a Class J!

Yours,
David Meashey

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Posted By audi84 on 01/02/2009 8:54 AM
We moved to the left coast in 1944, saw my 1st Cab Forwords in Needles, Calif, coming from Indiana/Illinois was a first!, still like them, have an HO Akane AC-10,

I'll never afford a true cab forwaed so I made my own. Check it out.

http://rlvette.angelfire.com/my_photo_album/

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 01/02/2009 7:32 PM
boring! ha ha ha!

Nick, I like your first suggestion... wild looking.. wasn't that designed by the same guy who designed the GG-1

Regards, Greg

Boring??????? are you out of your mind SIR....................... he he he While the Dryfuss is my all time favorate steamer, every time i go to the museum in pennsy and see that gg-1 INSIDE i get a stiffy and want to get naked and run around it all day long!!!!! my girl freind thinks im nuts... I'D PROBABLY GET THROW OUT !!!! but maybe not...HE HE HE by the way im a PROUD OWNER OF THE FINEST GG-1 BUILT IN 1/29TH SCALE USA trains all the way
very long newyears weekend he he he YOU KNOW YOU LAUGHED...Nick...

·
Registered
938 Posts
I agree with you Nick, I'd really like to see a Dreyfuss Hudson be produced next, that is one beauty of an engine. It's probably one of the single most recognizable steam engines in the general public and would consider it #1 on the list for iconic steam power.

I do actually like the Hudson on your avatar too.

Outside of that I'd really like to see a UP9000 but I'm betting that's just a pipe dream.

Raymond

·
Registered
938 Posts
Posted By rlvette on 01/02/2009 9:30 PM
Posted By audi84 on 01/02/2009 8:54 AM

I'll never afford a true cab forwaed so I made my own. Check it out.

http://rlvette.angelfire.com/my_photo_album/

Link isn't working for me. It takes me to a photo album of a starter set around a pool. Do I need to click on something else?

Raymond

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Ouch!
Starter Set?
That hurt Ray

Just click the next button above the main pic to scroll through the pics or look in the lower left corner.

·
Registered
938 Posts
No no I'm very sorry, I didn't mean it like that!
I thought the LGB engine was from an LGB starter set. I'm not too familiar with the LGB product line so I could be wrong. I know you had some other engines and rolling stock but was trying to keep my description simple. Sorry please forgive any offense.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Raymond

·
Registered
938 Posts
I see it, the very last picture at the bottom. LOL sorry I was looking quickly for an articulated. Really cool job! Do you have any other frontal photos of it?

And judging from the looks of that beautiful pool, you have a much nicer backyard than I do so... lol I have grass and an a 3 ft by 3 ft slab porch and that's it. ;)

Raymond

1 - 20 of 29 Posts