G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come on over to the steam show at Portersville (Jul31-Aug3)! Stop and introduce yourself and I'll give you a ride on my "other" toy.

We also should have a train running most days, it's just a bit large for "garden" scale, tho... (it's 15" gauge)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
What fun!

They used to have a huge get together in Freeport IL every year. I got to help Neil with his engine a couple years.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 1917 20th Century Mfg Co 25HP engine made in Boynton, Pa. see: http://www.catfish-hollow.com/20th.htm for more history on it.

Show hours on Thursday are something like 10AM to Dark-ish. They had talked about making it a senior discount day since they mostly kind of putter around on the first day, but I missed the last 2 meetings so I don't know if that passed.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooops, I need to contact Shad about changing my email. Anyway, just look for the "Beast" down on the parade track. It's kind of hard to miss. If I'm not there then I'm probably down by the train sorting out my 15YO and her BF, or trying to teach MY GF to run our Allis WC

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
How do I get there from Cooper's Lake Campground? Yeah I'm one of the crazies camping in medieval clothes in August heat. I'll be close so I might as well swing by if I've got time!

Email me directions please Mik!

chas

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sent ya a PM. But in case anybody else needs directions here they are.The showgrounds are right on US 19 (southbound side) just north of the village of Portersville beside Gellner's Arctic Cat... I'd say they are hard to miss, but everything is down over the hill, so people do.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some pix... the battery in my digital camera died, so these are all we have until Kim gets the film back from the lab
http://www.catfish-hollow.com/Portersville/photo/2008.htm

One of my other 'toys' from back when I had money...a '37 Allis-Chalmers WC-- Kim tried to kill me with it Friday. I was trying to teach her to drive when she popped the clutch, pulled the front wheels about 8" in the air, and nearly dumped me off the fender onto my head... (or would I have just hurt the ground?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif )

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Sorry Mik!

I'd expected more help setting up and it ended up being my wife & I and one other person, mostly setting up three tents and keeping an eye on two toddlers. Took us two days to get it all set up and by then i wasn't interested in much beyond a hot shower and sleeping.

Maybe next year?

Chas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts