G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Lord of the Steam
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a short video of some of the highlights from the weekend steamup on the IE&W. Another wonderful weekend of steam and fellowship hosted by Jim and Jo Anne Stapleton.

Scott

·
Registered
24 Posts
Scott:

Very nice video...thanks for posting! It looks like the day was perfect - sunshine and steam. What could be better?

The IE&W CEO has done a magnificent job on creating the perfect outdoor track. One of these days I hope to see it in person.

Neil

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Scott;

Thank you for the video. I was unable to make it again this year, but hope to eventually steam on Jim's track/

Regards,
David Meashey

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Jerry took some nice photos with his big DSLR. Here's one I particularly liked - it shows how spectacular the weather was for steaming.

And this is a general view back to the steaming bay, with my EBT #12 in the foreground (not the train in the video - my hoppers are full and my loco is dirty!)

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Scott,

Thank you for the video. Beautiful day and it looks like a good sampling of what was running. I was getting a little worried until I saw your SP Narrow Gauge #9 about ten minutes in!

Best regards,

Alan

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I enjoyed the great video of the event, but have no idea what the layout looks like, or its size. Could someone provide a sketch or plan of the layout, and/or a video that pans the entire layout with commentary? Incidentally, what does the IE&W stand for? and where is it located?- Alex

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Great video!. Very peaceful to watch. Like being there and the trains just come and go. Like how you'd watch trains in their natural environment. Different from the camera chasing after the locomotive.

In fact it was so peaceful we got to hear the sound effect you included of the fly fly by at 9.25. Now that's what I call being there, in the experience. ;-)

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Shay:

All I will say is that the loop shown is about 600' long. It contains two main lines and several passing sidings. Anything more must come from the owner. I'm not comfortable answering some of your questions.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I enjoyed the great video of the event, but have no idea what the layout looks like, or its size. Could someone provide a sketch or plan of the layout, and/or a video that pans the entire layout with commentary? Incidentally, what does the IE&W stand for? and where is it located?- Alex
Alex,
Interesting stuff popped up when I googled IE&W Railroad (maybe you should try it?)

It is west of Washington DC.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Alex
Put "IE&W" in the search box on YouTube. Plenty of videos to watch from over the years. The name is unimportant, but the E stands for EXPENSIVE. the route is 560 ft long and total track is about 3,000 feet. The layout has been in operation since July 1995. A short history, not updated since 2008 is here
==> http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/drrivet/IE&W%20construction.pdf

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Thanks, fellows. The photo and comments much appreciated. At 94, I am afraid that I will have to enjoy these layouts via the internet, much as I would like to take off and tour the country, and see them first hand!
Alex

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Alex:

What part of the country do you call home? There is a chance that some MLSers live nearby and could get you to some local layouts.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Hi Chuck n-
I live in Ann Arbor, MI, and am a staunch member of the MSSLS here in the Detroit area. I was referring to the many outstanding layouts that I have seen on this forum.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Alex:

Thanks for your response. I'm 20 years your junior and I agree, there are a lot of layouts out there, too many RRs too far apart.

Chuck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts