G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This alert is authentic...and Microsoft deployed the patch today. Do a Windows Update to download and install the patch.

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Hi Mike... Question.. Been thinking of putting in Firefox and was wondering if i can remove IE 7? Darn IE 7 has so many updates now on my drive that it take up almost 40 some mb alone.. I need to save some space on hard dr. and Firefox 3 is only 7 mb. and probably work better. Can I use firefox alone?? Noel

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I think Macrosnot routed a bunch of other stuff through Intermess Exploder so they could claim it was part of the proprietary OS to avoid paying on anti-trust rulings..... I MIGHT be wrong, though

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Posted By noelw on 12/17/2008 1:52 PM
Hi Mike... Question.. Been thinking of putting in Firefox and was wondering if i can remove IE 7? I need to save some space on hard dr. and Firefox 3 is only 7 mb. and probably work better. Noel

Hi Noel,

I wouldn't, first its part on Windows, second it has hooks into lots of places, and third some sites need it as they won't work on other browsers!

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Thanks Mike for the "heads up". My MasterCam cad software site gave a warning about this one this a.m. I downloaded the patch and it's done.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Hi Mike... Question.. Been thinking of putting in Firefox and was wondering if i can remove IE 7? Darn IE 7 has so many updates now on my drive that it take up almost 40 some mb alone.. I need to save some space on hard dr. and Firefox 3 is only 7 mb. and probably work better. Can I use firefox alone?? Noel

Noel
There's no need to try and remove MS/IE, just leave it there, and like has been suggested if you try to remove MS/IE you'll cause more problems that you want to deal with.

You can go ahead and install FireFox on your system and use it instead.

I know, you've got a problem with hard disk space, what I would suggest is that you purchase an additional larger size disk drive and install it in your current system. Then transfer as much as you can from the old drive to the new one.

·
Super Modulator
21,424 Posts
To amplify on Steve's post... you can uninstall IE7 and go back to IE6, but hard drives are cheap... You cannot uninstall IE6, IE is a necessary part of the operating system.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I installed the new security update for IE and all went fine with it.

Then I decided to run the "Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer" (aka: "MBSA"), a program that MS supplies for free to run some checks on your PC to verify and display to you things that might be wrong with your system, security wise, like missing anti-virus software or holes in the firewall, etc. I have run this program a few times before (usually after I have made some changes to my PC). It has always shown a couple of things that I know about and prefer to be the way they are... like, I have Automatic Updates set to just tell me when an update is available, instead of downloading and installing it automatically, so I can get it when I am ready for it. And it shows several things that I never took the time to investigate thoroughly, but this time I did.

It says I have "Telnet" running and that is possibly a security hole. But everything else I have access to, to control whether or not "Telnet" is running, says it is not running and I have no way to shut it off since my controls say it is not supposed to even be loading.

In addition, it says that my Windows Firewall has a security hole, specifically, I have "Exceptions enabled", which I don't, or at least the method that it tells me to use to remove the exceptions says none are enabled. I tried enabling one and then rebooted... no change, so I disabled it again, and rebooted again. Still no change.

I ran MBSA again and this time I noticed a small semi-transparent window slide up from the bottom of the main window that said there was an update available and I should just click "here" to get it. Well, maybe an update would fix these problem.... maybe????

I clicked "here" and IE-7 opened to a Microsoft site that had a link to click to download the software, so I clicked it, and it took me to a page that had a link to click on to download the software. It, too, took me to a page that had a link to click on to download the software and that link took me to a page that had a link to download the software... do you note a pattern here?

Anyway, after another couple of pages with links to yet another page with a link on it, I finally got to a page that had EIGHT buttons adjacent to some typical Geek-speak file names that made little sense and some words that I should click on the button to get the appropriate program for my system. I finally figured out that there were two different programs in four languages each that could be downloaded. The language is indicated by the last two letters and I picked "EN" for "English".

The two different programs are for either a 64 bit processor or an 80x86 type processor. Since I have a Turion 64ML-30 processor, I thought maybe the "64" was meaningful so I decided to download the file with the "64" in the file name.

When I tried to install it, it told me I was wrong.

So I downloaded the one with the "86" in the filename (specifically, I downloaded the file named: "MBSASetup-x86-EN.msi").

When I ran this one, the install almost completed before it presented a statement that it "could not read the network file: MBSASetup-EN[1].msi" and that the install had failed.

I downloaded the file again, just in case the first one had lost some bits or something. Didn't help, I got the same error message when I ran the install program.

I tried to run the file directly from the download dialog box, instead of storing the file and then running it from my harddrive storage. That also failed.

I searched the MBSA web site looking for help... there was none that made any sense. The "Frequently Asked Questions" section contained lots of Questions, but I doubt if any of them had actually been "Asked", and even if they had I am sure they were not "Frequently Asked".

I tried the install again and made specific note of the file it said it could not read... I then renamed the file I had downloaded to the name the program said it could not read and then ran that renamed file.

AH HA! This time the install completed without an error... Hoo-ray!

I ran the program.... Ugh! The same one as before ran, and it again told me an update was available!

I got smart! I "UNinstalled" the old program and then ran the install (the one I had renamed) yet again!

This time it not only worked but when I ran the program again, I now have the new version!

Didn't really help to install the new program... it still tells me I have the same possible security holes.

Remember, computers are neither smart nor dumb

They are just plain MEAN!

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Posted By SteveC on 12/17/2008 3:13 PM

Noel
There's no need to try and remove MS/IE, just leave it there, and like has been suggested if you try to remove MS/IE you'll cause more problems that you want to deal with.

You can go ahead and install FireFox on your system and use it instead.

I know, you've got a problem with hard disk space, what I would suggest is that you purchase an additional larger size disk drive and install it in your current system. Then transfer as much as you can from the old drive to the new one.

Hi Steve...Ya. I didn't think I could get the IE's out.. I can go back to IE 6 but thats not doing much as far as space. Only thing is the darn Updates on IE 6 and & IE 7. It's filling up my hard dr. space with darn security files. I added up the MB. for the Updates and !E-6 that have to have for IE7 to work is almost 40 MB's alone.

I did get ahold of MSN today in some country that had a hard time understating English and they stayed with me for almost an hr. on their time. They asked if they could use a program to ck my hard dr. and see what files and other stuff was in my Register... Natch I said go for it....

They put in a program called " MS-DOS Batch file clean". Boy did I get a whole lot of space back.. almost 4 gigs back out of my 10 gig hard dr. They told me to load it in to a Flash dr. (stick) So we did....... Now I can use it any time to get junk out that is not needed or already have a needed file. It gets files that are duplicated and seems like that happens a lot on IE 7 updates.. They said files do get in the wrong places and they still have a few problems with updates daily.

My darn Gateway 500 mother board can't count over 30, so only added drive I can put in is a 15 or 20 gig's, but try to find one that is a new one. So I do use a lot of Flash dr's.
Every thing out there keeps sending out updates and doesn't get rid of some of the old ones. I guess in time I'm going to run out of room to just oper. Win XP and anything to get on the INTERNET with.. Ya I know ....buy another computer and them install Firefox. laf. oops there goes the train money...

Semper Vaporo..... I feel for you and have been there many times trying to fix or get files out. First thing you know you have corrupted some other file and have to uninstall it and re-down load it. Find out sometimes you have to rename the files.

Guess I'm learning the hard way after I started over and reformatted the hard dr. a few times.

Tks for the information and sorry Mike R. for getting some help on your posting, but tks. for bringing this up and ya iI did get the new patch.. tks again.. Noel

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Windows has updated and rebooted the computer 3 consecutive nights, disrupting the nightly backkup.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Torby on 12/18/2008 7:36 AM
Windows has updated and rebooted the computer 3 consecutive nights, disrupting the nightly backkup.

That is one reason I changed Windows Update to only tell me when the update is available and I do it myself when I am darn'd good and ready.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts