G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have power back I will post a few pictures from the ice storm that hit last Mon. and Tue. night here in Northwest Arkansas.

Front Yard Shot.

Bed and Breakfast Shot on the Railroad.

Fire Tower Shot on the Railroad.

Limb hit the house then Log Cabin.

This is a shot of my Water Fall and Stream. Can you find the wood bridge?

Train Storage Building that has track going out to layout.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Glad that you and yours are safe and most things of importance seem to be in a normal state: you are on line!

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Say , that looks just like here ........................................we caught the same storm , just across the Ohio River from KY .
We were out of power and heat for 4 days .............and single digit temps .

Another interest of mine is old lanterns and oil lights , which helped us greatly . 7 of them and 3 gallons of Lamplight Farms lamp oil , emabled us to keep the indide temp above 45 degrees at the lowest , and in the 50's during the day . Very cold sleeping , and etc , but , we kept the pipes from freezing .
It was an experience , 1 to 2" of ice , followed by 4 to 6" of snow cover , is really not usuall here . All of my extended family were without power in three seperate towns . and there are still some people here and in Kentucky still , without power .

as once said on a tv show ....................very intersting , but not very funny !

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About the same Dennis, we didn't get to single digits, 15 was the coldest I think. We still have in the thousands without elec. mostly in the rural area and over a thousand poles down. We have a gas cook top so we keep the house in the low 50's. I filled the cast iron bath tub with hot water 2 or 3 times a day that really helped but the wall paper in the bathroom is about to come down now. We had more ice and a little sheet after the pictures were taken but no snow.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Henson and others,
My greatest sympathy goes out to you. In 2005, Wichita had a similiar storm. Many were without power for a couple of weeks. Our power was only out for a couple of days, and I have a 6300Watt generator. For those without, after an emergency truckload were sold at each Sears store in48hrs, generators were not to be found. We lost three trees and many limbs. I still have deadwood falling out of the HedgeApple row each time there are high winds. I'm very glad there was no structural damage to your home. The RR can more easily be repaired when it warms up. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Jim and Susie Carter

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Ah Henson, my heart goes out to you man. Nice the house was okay, but some RR houses don't look too good. We had those storms two years in a row, but luckily I had put my buildings away for the winter. Did lose a tree next to the RR, that was a plus, no more of it's darned leaves and little limbs that fell off all the time.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
A couple of pics from here ........................and a " Whats the chances " type photo !

Of course quite a few tree braches broke off all around the house , lucky that none hit our home , but the back fence is flat/down now !
And a big surprize is that a branch came down by the layout " BOOM" but it fell right in the 4 foot opening where I enter inside the layout !

I could not belive where it landed !

of course catenary operation was out !

and the gazebo looked like it was decorated .....................

Lucky we were for the amount of damage and where !

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes you were lucky Dennis, glad we didn't have that much snow on top of the ice we received are everything would be on the ground.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts