G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shad you have a great setup here i just can,t take anymore of the premadonnas on these threads when you ask for help and don,t answer right away they think there better than the average joe.  i,ll be over on the other site count me out.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Sometimes it takes more than three days to get an answer to a question...

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I on the other hand...I just renewed and signed on as a lifetime member...what a deal/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Had it not been for you leaving, I would not have known about the lifetime membership offer.
I just signed up for the lifetime MLS deal. too.

B0B

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
There are a number of challenges when posting information on-line. It usually starts with a simple question, but very little background information. As a result you get no answer, or lots of answers that do not apply. As an example: what kind of sound card should I use? Without knowing what kind of locomotives the person has, what kind power they use (DC, DCC, battery), and what their budget restraints might be, they might get every answer except the one they are looking for.

Most people will also reply with information about products they prefer and that’s only natural. They are happy with what works for them and feel others should feel the same. Ask a person what brand should I buy, and I would be very surprised if they didn’t recommend the one they use. They would also be enthusiast about what they enjoy and might come across as pushy in person and very pushy on-line. I ran several clubs over my lifetime. In every club there were people who would voice strong opinions on almost every subject and annoy most club members. I nominated these people for Executive positions because I realized that unlike the deadwood they were passionate about the club. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Exchanging information with a person you can not see or hear is also problematic. Someone’s writing style on-line may appear condescending as there is no body English or voice reflection to tell you that the person is only trying to be helpful. The writer also has no feed back to let him know that he/she is coming across as a know-it-all. Humour can also appear to be sarcastic. The light hearted pokes we exchange in person with friends would appear rude and callous on-line. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

People on-line are not as they actually appear. Someone who comes across as crusty in writing may actually be very soft spoken, helpful and look like Santa Claus face to face. When Ric Golding met me in person at the American Invasion of Ottawa, he exclaimed that I didn’t look anything like what he expected. I was reluctant to ask him what he really expected, and no I don’t look like Santa Claus.

Some people really do know it all about a particular subject. There are many experts on-line and they may come across that way. But again realize they are only trying to help. Some of these experts may also be blunt in their replies because they have answered the same question over and over and over during their many years on MLS and other forums.

No one is happy all the time unless medicated. There may be a day when a normally helpful person may come across as grumpy, because they are. There may also be a day when you are cranky, take a comment the wrong and over react. Relax! Over the long run everything will be fine. If you kissed off everyone that occasionally disagreed with you, over time you wouldn’t have any friends or a spouse.

MLS is a great place to exchange information. Some of it does not apply to you and some of it you won’t like. But it’s like a buffet, take what you like and leave the rest. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Posted By Dan Moore on 02/15/2008 8:40 PM
Shad you have a great setup here i just can,t take anymore of the premadonnas on these threads when you ask for help and don,t answer right away they think there better than the average joe.  i,ll be over on the other site count me out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well... Guess ... I'm another one hate to see anyone leaving cause of some differences on some threads.. 
If you look at the other side, I've been there and you have to watch what you say and if not worded right or not any interest to some one  it will be deleted on there threads. ...Prima donnas , I think  you will find them there and ya i guess i must be a kind of a premadonna being I've be in the hobby for over 60 yrs and still learning from these guys & gals here. 
Go back a few yrs. you can see part of my layout on there Calender. ( Feb of 2005) with the other side. They did not like me on there calender because  i was not a member at the time but some one else wanted it for his advertisement.  But thats neither here or there.
So..... hate to see you leave from some of the best info. on the INTERNET, 
You probably been just better off by not saying anything and we wouldn't be feeling sorry for you and wondering what we did wrong, 
Hope you can find time to come back and enjoy trains stuff with us.....

And Paul Norton... You kind of hit it right on the head but i had to add my feeling being a little older than most and remembering what i had in the 40-50th  with no one to talk to in railroading hobby.  Every thing had to be just about home made. 
We have so much knowledge here. 
 Dwight.. your funny.. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif
Thats my two-six-bits worth. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif  
Noel

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Paul Norton on 02/16/2008 9:13 AM

If you kissed off everyone that occasionally disagreed with you, over time you wouldn’t have any friends or a spouse.

Daing!  Is that why I don't have any friends, or a spouse???? /Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/Fck/FCKeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/cry_smile.gif  Oh well..., at least I got to kiss /Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/Fck/FCKeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/kiss.gif' em all at least once./Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/Fck/FCKeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/heart.gif

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Just my penny's worth; I don't do conventions, clubs anymore or shows. MLS is the only place I go for information other than GR Magazine. It's well worth the money and I usually get more than enough answers to any questions I pose. I don't expect a 'right a-way' answer to questions. I subscribe to my questions/comments and wait for e-mails. When I've had enough....I unsubscribe to the thread. If most people are like me....I'm on the net several times a day, but others are not. They have lives outside of MLS...go figure...must be working on a railroad! I don't mind the waits.

Keep up the good work everyone and I'll listen to you on the posts!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Nice Hat, MG!!!   /Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/Fck/FCKeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Geez Dan! Getting a little "thin skinned" there aren't you?:confused:/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/ermm.gif There wasn't a single insulting post that was directed at you! I checked and every thread had people that were legitimately trying to help! If you want to go on and blame MLS members for your problems then that's a shame! I really don't know what set you off but whatever it was it wasn't personal and it wasn't an attack! (Sheesh!.....)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif Do as you will...

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I think that one reason that people find the "other site" more hospitable is that there are far fewer posts on that site.  With fewer posts, more people on the site are going to look at your thread.

I certainly don't have the time (or inclination) to look at every post here and respond.  If you want a response from me, it is either something I've been through and can offer constructive advise on, it interests me, or you've gotta have a header that reaches out and grabs my attention.

Sorry  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/ermm.gif  

·
Registered
57 Posts
Its a bummer to see anyone leave. I've always found everyone here to be rather nice and helpful.

Just out of curiosity, what is this "other site." One can't ever get enough RR themed resources.

Scott

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
There are 2 other sites that I visit sometimes:

http://www.gardenrailways.com -- Pretty active, but goes in spurts
http://www.largescalecentral.com -- Less traffic, but any new posting gets attention. Sometimes it's a little "Crusty" compared to MLS.

And, of course, there is the pay site:
http://www.largescaleonline.com

When I was wanting to get started but had no work, there were 2 sites, this one and largescaleonline. The other wanted $20 to participate. Shad let me participate for free, so when I did have some work, I sent my $20 to Shad.

First class or not, you're a member here. GardenRailways is free. LargeScaleCentral is free but has an optional supporting membership deal much like Shad's.

Hmm. A spot on my monitor. I tried editing that extra period 3 times before I realized it was on my montior. Gone now. 

1st class or not, you're always a member here.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Don's post would seem to indicate that he is looking for attention. Why else would he feel the need to go off on somebody that was merely trying to get a clarification so he could properly answer the question and then post a new thread where he continues his diatribe and loudly states that he won't be (how'd he spell it? Oh, never mind...) "re-newing" his membership(!!) I have quite a bit more that I could say but that would be seen as a "personal attack" and we don't want that! Don's burned his bridges so let's wish him well and get on with life! :)

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Hey Gentlemen

I understand that we all like to defend our choices and all, but don't you think enough is enough, I think the point has been made.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts