G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ho everybody! I've been down with the flu these past two days and so I'm a little cranky (not much sleep.....at all!) Anyway, I was just sitting here and it hit me where is that Long-Caboose that Bachmann promised?!! I know, I know....the estimated time for dealers to get it is sometime around April. Still, it would be nice if somebody over at Bachmann could give us a teensy weensy clue as to if this "guess" is still about right or if it has been delayed again. So far, nothing........ (sigh*) Ah well...blame it on the flu but I just had to rant!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Hi Steve,

Hope your feeling better, check the b-man site I just asked the Bachman if there is any chance the boose will be at the ECLSTS.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Ahhhhhh Steve,

Someone over on the b-man site [mudhen] just posted that he talked to b-man customer service and was told the boose wont be out till late June or early July. Anticipate #*([email protected]!!$# Maybe Fletch should do a Master Class on a long boose.

Chuck

PS I hope this dosen't through you into a relaps Steve.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Here it is as an Accucraft model.
This is the same car as D&RGW #04343.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
The deal with it being a "converted boxcar" .... how'd they do it? It looks almost as if the existing end walls were moved in for open end platforms, and then doors and windows cut, and a cupola added. Did the underframe and the trucks stay the same?

What other equipment was made this way?

Matthew (OV)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm looking forward to the long crummy being released,
and I would rather wait a bit more and hopefully get it
out with fewer bugs than some past offerings were
born with. Hey, I've been waiting this long, whats a
few more months.

Back in the mid 1990's, when there was nothing much
in 1:20.3 but brass and promises, I did something that

was way outside my normal spectrum of modeling; I

built some of my own equipment and really enjoyed it.

I was indecisive about what I was modeling, so used
D&RGW plans; thus my 0404 is a little long, but it still

looks good to me.

Oh, and by the way, RGS 0404 is not the same as 04343,
the RGS used D&RG plans but somehow made the car a
little bit shorter than the "standard" long cars that were in
use at the time. The real 0404 is a one if a kind caboose.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you Ray, you are too kind. I got that hardware from Sheridan I think; or it might have been Hartford too; probably both. Its been long enough now that I do not remember exactly; that was 12 years ago or more. The car is all milled or laser cut siding and basswood. I got the wood siding from a model manufacturer who makes kits, they just burned me a few dozen sheets. The roof is those blue shop towels with the ply's pulled apart and painted in place. I was still in HO mode when I made the car, I never got around to adding cut levers; someday, I need to correct that mistake. I also have a Hartford short caboose kit body all built up and ready to install hardware and then paint. I sort of lost interest in that kit when I saw the AMS short car was in the works.

Here is a link, and that is the ladder and the door I used.
http://sheridanproducts.tripod.com/sheridanproducts/id8.html

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh my! I haven't thought about that one for at least three years! (Boy! I think I needed to switch to decaf!) In some ways it seems silly in retrospect. I won't be surprised if it shows up again in the next couple of years though!

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
How about a really long caboose, and really cheap, just 2 Scientific cabeese gene-spliced together...since finished but haven't photo'd

Hmm...should really take a finished picture of this one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts