G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a show visiting with some folks I just meet. The subject came up and I was told he does not want to mess with the high maintance of battery power.
I said, High maintance?? what do you mean?

I mean I use a battery once , come back a year later and I can't use it unless its charged. To much trouble!!!

I was dumb-founded, ( I thought to my self)is that saying you only run your trains once a year.??

He just smiled like he won and walked away.
what an asinine statement...

Later in the show I walked by and politely said, oh??? dirty track???? OH I see ,, dead spot.

haaaaaaa
them walked on.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
So what's the difference if you spend a hour cleaning track,:mad: or 20 Min's to charge a battery? Myself I would radder charge a battery. :D

G

·
0 Posts
If you run SS no cleaning required.... so sayith the god of gscale lewis polk/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
When that stuff comes out, first thing you do is check to see if it's a full moon.
Next thing is look around, see if someone is flipping over rocks.

Those kind of people generally live under rocks.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 06/25/2008 5:27 PM
I mean I use a battery once , come back a year later and I can't use it unless its charged. To much trouble!!!

He has the right idea but is slightly off point, and this is why I don't/won't run batteries.
It's not that I come back to them a year later and they need a charge. It's that I come back to them a year later and THEY EVEN WON'T ACCEPT A CHARGE and that is unacceptable to me! :mad:

G

·
0 Posts
Posted By Trains on 06/25/2008 8:08 PM
The gods are not alway right!

very true...by the way hows the layout comin a long?
Nick

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Nick,

All of the track is laid. Needs it to stop raining so I can start on landscaping.
It's pretty muddy out there, so been running

G

·
0 Posts
While some of my batteries are well over a year or so old, they sometimes sit for weeks or even months at a time-unused....a quick charge with the MAHA corrects any voltage issues and off we go!

So far, So Good!

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
20 minutes to charge a battery? What takes you so long? Oh. Finding the charger. I see :D

Only takes a moment to connect it up and it charges while I do something else;)

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
I come back to them a year later

I'm in the habit of charging them after running so the locos are put back on the shelf charged.

Despite that, I regularly forget, and I've yet to lose a set of batteries through neglect. I use NiMH packs designed for r/c cars and they don't seem to die.

·
Master of Disaster
867 Posts
I used to use battery packs....from the different installers....and did not keep them on a charger...they do go bad....if you don't use them routinely....and for me not worth the hassel of keeping them charged....not to mention the cost.

I went to Milwaukee batts on a 3 bay charger...I have 2 of them and 8 batts...and they work SUPER they keep charged when I need to have a fix!
So keeping the tool batts on a charger is by far the best way to go.

And I purchase all my Milwaukee batts and chargers on E-bay and have NEVER had a issue....some batts are 3 years old and are still holding a good charge....I run, when I run for up to 8 hours....just changing batts....sometimes you can get deals on multipacks of 4 batts for approx. $169 and the regular 3 bay chargers are down to apptrox $50....Li-on 3 bay chargers are still a little high....approx. $100.

I do use the Aristo batts inside my tenders and will have to see how they do....

I use battery cars so I have the flexability to run what ever I want at any given time....just switch batts.

IMHO

Bubba

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Posted By Jerry Barnes on 06/26/2008 8:50 AM
If you don't run them but once a year, just regular alkalines would be a cheaper way to go, no need for chargers/expensive batteries. Jerry

No, not worth "ripping the engines apart" every year (maybe a couple times a year) to put new batteries in. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
If your only running them once a year, it must be around the Christmas tree./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

Marty, you should have replied "Yeah those New Bright sets are a B**** arent they" /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 06/26/2008 11:00 AM
If your only running them once a year, it must be around the Christmas tree.

Not I. My battery/track (switchable) engine (an AristoCraft FA with 15 Nicad "C" cells and an on-board TE mounted inside) was constructed for track cleaning purposes. Only, it's no good for that if the batteries don't take/hold a charge. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I have to fined my shoes first, that takes 15 min's.

What do you need them for?

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The words "high maintance" just has been on my mind today. Seems to me most of the track power display layouts takes about 2 hours to get all the track up and running with out dead spots.

Isn't that high maintance???
And it was said, battery folks has to have wires hanging all over, and charging ports etc.
Where are these people getting their info.???
I do videos and photos all the time, do you see wires and ports???

I just don't know....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts