G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first official picture post attempt. Someday, I hope to get good enough to build a 20.3 scale version.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Technically speaking, it is a Crampton. They were popular for high speed running -especially in France. However this is a genuine US of A one.... This is one of the more famous of the Locomotives from : The Camden and Amboy Railroad. If you REALLY want some "what is it?" factor then visit here.

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/locoloco.htm

I find it a great source of inspiration!!!!

regards

ralph

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Black,

In my notes it's listed as 'an early Camden & Amboy 6-2-0'. Probably ca 1845. If memory serves, it was a very fast engine for its day--note the huge drivers. This was copied from the English who were busy making fast engines. The 'webbing' between the spokes is to keep gravel from getting sucked off the roadbed and paddled out into the countryside by the spokes. It is alluded to have reached 60mph regularly.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ralph,

That's one of my favorite sites. The Pearson 9-footer is another I'd like to try my hand at someday, though in 45mm. It is gauged at 7', according to the text. Can you easily tell me--without pencil scratchings and whatnot--if one were to assay to model it, how would the dimensions be figured? The major dims, the 'footprint' so to speak. Please don't do any number-cranking, as I'm far from that project! (I am planning on putting up the first section of my benchwork tomorrow.)

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ralph, forgot to ask in first post:

See that tall pipe right behind the stack? A lot of early American engines are shown with one or two of those trumpet-mouthed protrusions on the spine of the boiler. I am driven to assume they are pop-off valves since some engravings show wisps of vapor issuing from them. What are they, really, do you know? Nowhere can I find a word about them.

Les

·
Registered
744 Posts
(cough!)

To be honest it is actually quite simple... I just pick up my copy of "The British Steam Locomotive" and read off the dimensions from Page 109!!!

Wheelbase 25 feet 6 inches. Bogie Wheels 4 feet diameter. Front bogie 5 feet 5 inches between axles. Rear bogie 5 feet 9 inches between axles. Bogie pivot points 9 feet 6 inches from central axle

I can scan the pages on the Pearson Locos if you like (it will be tomorrow now GMT). And Sorry -I have no idea what the protrusions are...

I will have a look around my books for you -to see if I can find anything -but safety valves is a distinct possibility. Cocoa and Bed calls!!!

regards

ralph

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Posted By ralphbrades on 03/27/2009 4:27 PM
(cough!)

To be honest it is actually quite simple... I just pick up my copy of "The British Steam Locomotive" and read off the dimensions from Page 109!!!

Wheelbase 25 feet 6 inches. Bogie Wheels 4 feet diameter. Front bogie 5 feet 5 inches between axles. Rear bogie 5 feet 9 inches between axles. Bogie pivot points 9 feet 6 inches from central axle

I can scan the pages on the Pearson Locos if you like (it will be tomorrow now GMT). And Sorry -I have no idea what the protrusions are...

I will have a look around my books for you -to see if I can find anything -but safety valves is a distinct possibility. Cocoa and Bed calls!!!

regards

ralph

I'd appreciate it if you'd scan it for me and email it across.

Uh, not to press the point overmuch, but when I narrow the engine down from seven feet ... won't it look a tad tall 'n narrow? Or can I get away cleanly by dividing the 7' gauge by .6, to come up with width in 20.3 scale? (As I would for the other dims.) There'd of course be a little overhang, but that could be eyeballed easily enough.

Les

·
Registered
744 Posts
Towards the end of the Broad Gauge there were "convertible" engines that were designed to run on the GWR 7 feet gauge and then the std gauge. You should have you scans by lunchtime Sunday (BST!) I doubt you would really notice the fact that the loco has been converted from Broad Gauge to std gauge. My suggestion is to narrow the boiler and then keep the rest of it "as is". It will only be when you look at the loco "head on" that you will notice anything amiss -and this can be explained away by the early design.

I will send you the Pearson scans and a few others that you might like to get the "feel" of 1830's locos.

regards

ralph

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
That is an astoundingly strange contraption!

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Torb,

You want 'astoundingly strange'? Take a look at this one--Ralph is being kind enough to take time and send me some scans:

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm, see I still haven't got this pic-posting down pat. The above is a Pearson's 9 foot single. Yep, the diameter of the drivers. It is shown as a 7-ft gauge, but I want to try to build it in 45mm @ 20.3 (Fn3.) Ralph already posted the dims, above. I'm still having problems knowing where and how to insert text. Anyway, here's astounding one, for sure!

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ralph,

Thanks for the link. I have DSL and a nearly empty 2 gig HD. That ought to hold it. I'll download this afternoon and notify you so you can take it down as soon as you'd like.

We have snow here, about enough to track a rabbit, except on the windshields, where it's about 4 inches deep.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ralph,

Insofar as I understand what I'm doing, I have all but scan 4, apparently a picture, that won't load. It's the only one that didn't.

Also, I moused the parent file (or something) and nothing happened. So I went thru, entry by entry, downloading 'em to my satisfaction. (Or understanding, call it what you will.) THEN I noticed a big, fat Internet Web symbol on my desktop and clicked it--well, I'm a tad embarrassed to note that I now have TWO copies of what you sent.

I haven't as yet checked to see if scan 4 is included in the Internet one, but it won't load alone, as I've said. If it's of no consequence, forget it.

But I thought, given the size of that file, it'd be time-consuming, as in I could rare back and sip my coffee while the little green squares plodded across the window. But no. Zap, it was there, the whole works, and I didn't even see the screen blink. (That could've been my state of mind.
) Anyway, I now need a cup of coffee to unwind.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to post all that! I owe you one. Or two.

Les

In snowy St. Louis.
I hate snow, BTW.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well I have just checked all the files and they all seem to download successfully including Pearson4.jpg

Try this direct "push"

http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.co.uk/mls/For%20Les/pearson4.jpg

Some browsers may show them as reduced images with the option to expand them to full size. The parent directory is /mls which doesn't contain anything at the moment!!!

regards

ralph

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My most humble apologies: I should have written 'scan 4' which shows as, when opened, a small X inside a box, which I take to mean as a picture. I apologize for my ineptness.

Les

Added after post: I downloaded the parent directory, and even there it shows as described above. I just looked.

Added after Ppost: I must be witless today: it's the scan 4 in the federation news section. Both 3 & 5 are there and open, 4 is shown but opens as described. On my browswer, IE7, I usually get a flag that says 'cannot open, open with...' and a dropdown list. Nothing on this one.

Sorry for the problems.

Les

1 - 18 of 18 Posts