G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just paid $33 plus shipping for this car. Comes in the box. I had been looking out for one of these for a few weeks. Most like it seem to go for $60 to $130 depending... But when I saw an ebay listing for $33, I was compelled and as a result I had to put off buying my lot of metal G wheels for next payday. This experience proves you can still get something cool for not too much money on Ebay.

When it arrives, I will post you pictures of me with it.

Land vehicle Train Toy Rolling stock Vehicle

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just paid $33 plus shipping for this car. Comes in the box. I had been looking out for one of these for a few weeks. Most like it seem to go for $60 to $130 depending... But when I saw an ebay listing for $33, I was compelled and as a result I had to put off buying my lot of metal G wheels for next payday. This experience proves you can still get something cool for not too much money on Ebay.

View attachment 63798
You’d be lucky to get a decent ho car for that price these days… Nice find!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are you modeling?
We take for granted O gauge freight trains. $200 GP38s are everywhere in O, and the box cars are available for cheap so I already have this O gauge freight train.

I even have an HO equivalent of a freight train, also with a GP38 as well as a 2-6-0 Steam.

I cannot afford to make a G gauge equivalent to my O gauge train yet, but I am happy to know some day I can get a G gauge GP38 for $380, and subsequently collect full sized freight cars to go with it. I hope I can afford it before they go up in price. With the war and inflation problems being imposed on the world, and my low socioeconomic status, I believe the days of affordable anything are quickly drawing to a close.

For now, I am collecting G gauge freight cars that are square shaped and look good with a LGB 0-4-0 that comes with the LGB starter set.. such as this Shell tank car... It has let me make a freight train on a budget.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
still get something cool for not too much money on Ebay.
Keep your eye on Facebook Marketplace. There are often 'estate' sales of RR equipment being sold by children or relatives who have no idea what the stuff is worth, and are glad to get anything for it. I've been selling such a collection for less than $33/piece. I still have this piece that I am thinking of throwing away as no-one seems to want it. ($25 to you.)

Train Plant Rolling stock Wheel Rolling

·
Registered
14 Posts

View attachment 63798
If I'm not mistaken - and I VERY well could be - these cars are most;y married to starter sets. Watch for the starter sets on sites like eBay - I'm sure they're contained therein.....Peace

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I'm not mistaken - and I VERY well could be - these cars are most;y married to starter sets. Watch for the starter sets on sites like eBay - I'm sure they're contained therein.....Peace
There is a Piko starter set that has these ore jennies in them... same mold as the ones I have, but these specific ones are grey. However I have yet to ever see the shell tank cars in starter sets but admit they could exist.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keep your eye on Facebook Marketplace. There are often 'estate' sales of RR equipment being sold by children or relatives who have no idea what the stuff is worth, and are glad to get anything for it. I've been selling such a collection for less than $33/piece. I still have this piece that I am thinking of throwing away as no-one seems to want it. ($25 to you.)

View attachment 63817
i think $25 is a good price for G rolling stock… but yeah this piece is something someone will generally get if they’re doing a specific train, as it’s less than gorgeous otherwise ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts