G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I look for some books of the K-27 and the locomotives which run on "Durango and Silverton" and "Cumbres and Toltec"

Hello my friends,
I am a big fan of "Durango and Silverton" and "Cumbres and Toltec", some days ago I bought the locomotive Bachmann's K-27 #463 because I really love this machine. But I am also in love with K-28 , K36 and K37.
I look for many books where there would be beautiful photos of K-27 #463 or locomotives which run on these two railroads, please can you could give me the name of books or links where I could buy them ?
I found many photos and links which show K-27 , 28 , 36 and 37 but I do not know where to buy books which possess beautiful photos of these locomotives, little problem it's that I live in France and so I have to buy with Internet.

PS: I look for too a DVD which show the K-27 #463 in action, if you can help me to found one DVD with this machine

A great thank's for all in advance, Best regards.

Olivier.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
RE: I look for some books of the K-27 and the locomotives which run on "Durango and Silverton" and "Cumbres and Toltec"

Olivier,

Here's something to get you started....

Rio Grande Narrow Gauge by John B. Norwood
Heimburger House Publishing Co. 1983
Hardbound 312 pages.

Narrow Gauge Pictorial Vol.1 Rio Grande Southern and D&RGW Motive Power
Robb Ltd. 1981
Softbound, horizontal format, 176 pages.

Some dealers that may have the books....

Caboose Hobbies Denver CO USA
303-777-6766, Orders only: 800-886-1813, Fax: 303-777-0028
http://www.caboosehobbies.com

Ron's Books Harrison NY, USA
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/view/post/action/edit/forumid/4/postid/91281/www.ronsbooks.com
[email protected]
914-967-7541, Fax: 914-967-7492

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
RE: I look for some books of the K-27 and the locomotives which run on "Durango and Silverton" and "Cumbres and Toltec"

Olivier,

It occurred to me that perhaps being in France that you might not know the relationship between the Durango & Silverton and the Cumbres & Toltec.
My apologies if you already know this but just in case.

Durango was a narrow gauge hub on the D&RGW with lines running out in all directions. Roughly heading north out of Durango was the Silverton Branch (now the Durango & Silverton).
South was the Farmington branch (abandoned). East the line went over Cumbres Pass to Antonito then dual gauge to Alamosa Colorado. Part of this line, Antonito
to Chama, is the present day Cumbres & Toltec. West the Rio Grande Southern ran out of Durango.

·
Registered
258 Posts

One of the best:
"The Thunder of Their Passing"
Robert Turner

http://www.karensbooks.com/cgi-bin/shop/karenscart.cgi?func=buildProduct&product=2789&back=javascript:history.go(-1)

Description:
The story of this steam railroad - from its origins as the D&RG's San Juan Extension to its present-day operations as the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. Covers more than 120 years of railroading in the breathtaking high country of Colorado and New Mexico. Over 100 Color and 150 B&W photos. Hard Cover.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hello,

I would like to thank you for your help and for your kindness, your links are very useful. It's with a lot of pleasure that I am going to buy these books.

A great thank's for all.

Bye, Olivier.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts

There is a book dedicated to the K27's specifically:

“The Mudhens: A Photographic History” by Dennis O’Berry

here is a place that has it for sale:

http://www.goldenspike.us/si/RB114.html

its a good book! (I own a copy)
lots of photos and data on every loco in the class..

Scot

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

I'd recommend Durango Always a Railroad Town, by Richard L. Dorman.

One of the best out there for Durango photos. All B+W, but great photos. There are some beautiful #463 photos as well. And the book also covers a bit on the Durango & Silverton. Unfortunately it is not the easiest of books to find and has been out of print for a while now.

I'll second jebouck's recommendation of The Thunder of Their Passing. This book not only has fantastic photos of the past, but also includes photos and info on the present day Cumbres & Toltec operations.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hello,

I would like to thank you for your help, I ordered some books.
All the links and books that you had indicated to me are very useful.

A great thank's for all, best regards.

Olivier.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Lots of good resources to be had here, Olivier. How is your collection going?

Richard C.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hello Richard,

My collection is really very beautiful, some weeks ago I bought K-27's Bachmann and I modify this locomotive which I find really perfect.
I began my collection with locomotives diesels (GP9 , GP7 and SD40-2, Units F A+B and Dash 9) and then I have discovered the "narrow gauge" locomotives (Shay, Climax, Heisler, Consolidation) and now I have my K-27.
I find that these "Narrow gauge" locomotives are very beautiful and very rich in history, I ordered a camera and I am going to make photos of my collection and I would publish them on the forum of MLS.

But I dream to buy Accucraft's K-28 but for the moment they are not available and especially they coutent very dearly, but I hope well for a day buy one of it.

PS: It's always good for the morale and the spirit to dream.....

Bye and best regards, Olivier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts