G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,837 Posts
Bill,

Sounds like you fried the motor. You can take the bottom plate off and have a look at the pickup wires and also see if the motor turns (move the worm wheel by hand.)

If you take a look at the Warranty, you'll find it is for the Lifetime of the loco. Just mail it back to Bachmann and they'll fix it.

·
Premium Member
6,837 Posts
Battery locos are normally fused to prevent overloads to the motor driver

Hmmm... Yes, maybe. My battery loco is fused to prevent the batteries from a direct short - and that's the same as the wired power pack; it trips on a direct short.

However, I'm dismayed to report that you can 'stall' my Bachmann 4-6-0 - it can be stopped without the wheels turning/slipping. Perhaps there's too much weight in the boiler (batteries replaced the cast iron.) Anyway, on Rog's 3% hill, trying to pull 4 RY brass hoppers as well as my usual cars, mine just drifted to a stop but wasn't slipping. The good news is that the batteries are only 2 x 7.2 = 14.4V, so it may not overheat the motor. It still runs fine despite the abuse.

·
Premium Member
6,837 Posts
I sent my Annie directly to Barry for one of his BBT 280 upgrades

Steve,

I'm sure that solved the problem - applying $$ can often do the trick. Unfortunately, I'm on a budget (gotta pay for that RY EBT Mikado somehow!)

Actually, I doubt even one of Barry's drives would have got that load over the top of Rog's hill! Even his K-36s tend to slip with any kind of load. My ten wheeler was one of the first to run battery power on his layout, so I used to run up behind his D&RGW stock train to give it a shove up the hill. Now he runs Airwire and battery, he can help himself up with another K on the back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.