G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a bark box in my K-27 today, which took me about 30 minutes.

It was easy, but I recommend taking off the smoke box cover (2 bolts on the sides) to give you room to work and make it easy to reinstall the shortened exhaust pipe. The weather is too lousy to run outside, so I ran on rollers and put a short video of the run on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txs-x7-CUVU

There is noticable chuff improvement even with no load on the locomotive. In my view, the Bark Box works as advertised and I like the device. I will put another video on YouTube as soon as I can run outside and take some shots under load.

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/weaverc/BB1.jpg
Image exceeds 640 pixel max. width - converted to link.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Carl,

That sounds really good!!! Where did you get this?

On the down side looks like you can no longer see your burners.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
David,
Contact Richard Jacobs at http://www.trainsales.com/barkbox.htm
He and Chris Sortina developed it. They have two sizes and the one I have is the larger, which also fits in a K-28.
I saw this thing at Diamondhead in Chris' K-27 and had to have one. I am their first customer.

Yes, I can see the burner tubes easily as they are below the bottom of the Bark box. You can see the tubes clearly in the picture at the start of my video.

Also, be sure to take a look at Richard's videos
for the K-27 at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzXN7QjHIi0
and for the K-28 at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnhr-66Vt2Q

·
Registered
84 Posts
Carl

That sounds really great. I had a look at the web site, but could not find an email link. Do you happen to know if they have one because I would be interested to know if they do a version of the bark box for the Accucraft C16 and if there will be any available at Diamondhead 2009.

Thanks

David

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David,
Just give Richard Jacobs a call on the phone at the number listed on his web site. He'll get back to you.

·
To steam or not to steam
176 Posts
I will be at the steam up in Mi in July. Anyone wanting a bark box for there locomotive please let me know. Per order would be great. I will make some to install.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Carl,

I had a bark box installed into my S-12 at DH by Richard. I was most impressed with the sound. I'm looking forward to the kick off steamup of the New England season this weekend, and letting some friends hear it for the first time.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Posted By trainmax on 04/22/2009 8:24 PM
I will be at the steam up in Mi in July.

Richard,
Is Chris coming with you? Where are you staying?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but at that end of the flue the hot gases are exiting the flue. The question as to whether it's a hinderance may still be valid.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Am considering the same for my 1/29 0-6-0, so I'm looking forward to hearing it!

·
To steam or not to steam
176 Posts
No Chris cant make it.
It looks like I will be staying at the camp ground.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Posted By Shay Gear Head on 04/23/2009 3:15 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but at that end of the flue the hot gases are exiting the flue. The question as to whether it's a hinderance may still be valid.

Isn't there also air intake at that end? There has to be, I have been thinking, to keep the flame in the flue, and out of the smokebox? But you're right, it seems like either way it has to be effecting combustion

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
In a gas fired "poker burner" boiler the exhaust steam is not needed for draft over the fire so the barkbox is of little problem in the smokebox. It MIGHT be a problem if the exhaust steam cannot form a draft up the chimney for a coal or alcohol fired loco.

·
To steam or not to steam
176 Posts
There is no restrict in airflow. A restrict in airflow would mean some kind of blockage there just is none.I have made a lot of bark box's not one person who has a bark box in there locomotive has complained about problems with there locomotive operations. As for the coal and alcohol loco's. The draft pipe has to go thought the bark box and it just does not work well with the bark box.
Sorry guys but no Bark Box's for y'all.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Mr. Linde,

Are you going to be at Randolph Saturday? You'll have a chance to check it out, I'll even give you my S-12 to take for a run and experience it yourself. I think it is one of the best upgrades ever, tied with the goodall valve.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I bought one at Diamondhead for my AMS 0-6-0 and had it installed there. It definitely adds to the sound when the loco is working. But best of all, there is no splatter from the stack when starting. It is worth the price just to keep the loco from getting covered in wet dross and steam oil! Have made over 35 runs since it was installed and have not had one problem. No trouble viewing the flame either. A very good option if you are so inclined.
Bill SA#767

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
aho, choo choo, love my barkbox

1 - 20 of 34 Posts