G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sept   I left New River  AZ and headed for Marty's.   I took I 40  over to   New Mexico.    Then 54  up through Texas and Okalahoma.   The second day of travel It was Early Morning and the sun was not up yet.

I came to this  Intersection and there was  Light towers on  Generators.    The stop light poles were there but the lights were gone.    A little down the road were these Quansit Huts like from  the Series MASH.

One said   Emergency Room.   another Dr office.    " What happened here" I thought to myself   

To night while watching the Discovery Chanel I saw what I had driven through.     It was  Greensberg Kansas.   It was a shock to know that I had driven through a town that had been  totally wiped off the map  by a  tornado not too many weeks before.   

That is so sad.     

·
Just another old guy
786 Posts
JJ,

I also watch the Storm Chasers last night.  It was pretty amazing and very somber when they got to that part.

Tommy:cool:
Rio Gracie

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I have lived a very active and outdoorsy life. I've climbed mountains, kayaked wild rivers, backpacked in remote areas, hiked deserts and glaciers. I've wittnessed avalanches and been involved in the subsequent rescue efforts. I've weathered storms at sea. Not much scares me.....except tornados. I'm terrified by them.

I've been in six tornados in my life. My first at age 5, my last at age 30. If I never see one again it'll still be too soon. If you want to see Mother Nature reach out with her finger to change the landscape, just sit back and watch a tornado. All of the earths destructive force is packed in one compact twisting mass of wind.

I get the heebe geebes just thinking about it..

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Saw that too, though I hadn't driven through it.

Humbled by nature.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Spent 20 years in Kansas and been through Greensburg many many times.  I had enough and moved out.   Later RJD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts