G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not me personally. I am talking about stink bugs. I'm sure most of you are familiar with them. They started comming around a few years ago, and each year they are making their presence known more.

I am looking for a way to trap them, not for pets, but to eliminate as many as possible. I've had the idea lately that if Japanese beetles are attracted to Japanese beetle traps, then why wouldn't Stink bugs be attracted to a Stink bug trap??

I searched on line for some answers, but found none.

Anyone have any thoughts on these bugs?

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Different bugs are attracted to different things. I have heard that Joy dish-washing detergent is an attractant for some bugs. You put a bowl of a water and Joy along the foundation of the house or where ever the bugs are congregating and they drown in it. I tried it once for some Box Elder bugs and had to empty the bowl a couple of times per day over the course of a few weeks, killed thousands of them, but still had THOUSANDS more on the house. Not sure if it really did any good or possibly attracted the neighbor's bugs as well as the ones I already had.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had Box Elders about ten years ago. They were much more numerous than Stink bugs.

The one piece of information, in the site search, that I did find interesting was that Stink bugs will leave an oder behind, which atracts more Stink bugs the following season. Maybe if I took a beetle trap and placed the scent of Stink bugs into it, it would atract more Stink bugs. I just have to convince someone to get some Stink bug stink /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
Registered
150 Posts
Posted By Madman on 05/08/2008 5:20 PM
.... Japanese beetles are attracted to Japanese beetle traps

They sure are! Each year I buy a dozen traps and give them to all my neighbors!
Jack

G

·
0 Posts
if that are the same stinkbugs, as are those, we got in southamerica, (one inch long, black, quick runners), that come for a couple of days only:
look around the house and garden, and leak some kerosin (not that for planes, but that for lamps) in every crack or hole you find.
they don't like that stink... - and you got a little less invaders the next year.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
We had Box Elders here too, I found a great way to get rid of bugs, using a garden sprayer, mix 1/2 mouthwash, 1/2 dish soap, and liberally spray the yard with it, soak it, after a couple applications the beatle numbers drop off tremendously almost to 0. This works with any ground bug infestaion.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, these guys are only about a half inch long, and move like snails. It's easy to pick them up. It's like they're dim-witted. But don't pick them up with bare fingers. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife won't let me use chemicals, though I sneak them in on rare occasions./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts