G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry, Don, but you are confusing me.

You first said that you laid your track directly on the foam but now you are saying you nail the track to 1/4 inch mahogany plywood which you imbed in the foam.

So if I placed my track directly on the foam, and glued it in place, do you think I would have problems?

Do you think Greg is correct when he says he thinks the track would eventually sink into the foam?

You also say you use white Styrofoam. Is that the same as the Blue Styrofoam that I was planning to use?

Sorry, I am certainly not questioning your abilities as a modeler, I have seen your work and it is amazing, but would just like to clear this point up.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think what I will do is put down a 1/2 inch sheet of plywood and then put a 1 1/2 or 2 inch thick sheet of the heavy duty blue styrene. Then paint it a light brown with some cheap paint. Then I will use some liquid nails and lay the track directly onto the blue foam board. With 2 inches I know I will have enough room to cut out a small stream which I think will run into a lake which I will only show a very small portion of in one corner of the layout.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Sorry JB,
I guess I am not being completely clear, I apologize.
I use white styrofoam because it is the most readily available in So Cal.
I have areas of track on inlaid 1/4" cheap plywood, areas of just cheap plywood and areas where the track is laid directly on the foam, with no significant issues with any of them.
I do not believe that the trains will ever weigh enough to embed the ties in the foam.
Since you are using blue foam, which is significantly more dense and durable then the white expanded foam, you should lay the track directly on the foam. I use Titebond II for the foam to track bonding. More working time then liquid nails. I would consider using the 1/4" ply underlayment if you use 1 1/2" or 2" foam.
Once again I apologize for the confusion,

Don

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That's okay, Greg,

Now we know you are actually human and make a mistake now and then. I still regard you as very knowledgeable and a person whom I would listen to for advice.

When I get home I am going to sort out my Large Scale stuff and sell a bunch of it. I will probably keep my Indy engine and a Porter but will sell my Annies, Connies and a Shay plus a bunch of box cars, gondolas, tanks and stock cars leaving me with about 10 freight cars and three Bachmann passenger cars. That should keep me busy enough outdoors in the summer.

I have been watching a bunch of Youtube videos on making scenery and I am getting excited about that. It should be an interesting winter next year.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Has anyone used the Atlas 9 Inch HO turntable with On30 equipment?

I would like to know if it is big enough to handle the Bachmann On30 Shay?

Would anyone have any pictures of it in use?

How is it wired for DCC use?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts