G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a hudson pulling freight ? how dare they.... off with there heads.... HE HE HE Billys hudson makes an apperance on the rails up here in sunny NY state:D and haulin ass too!!!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
New York Central had a bunch of Hudsons - I want to believe that they could have pulled a freight train once or twice...

What radius curve was that engine running around?

Jeff C

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff, 20ft dia curves, Greg she was making a beer run thats why she was movin so fast!!! HE HE HE...:D
Nick.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We need more 100mph plus passenger trains in the USA. It's pretty funny to think that the IC City of New Orleans was able to run at 110mph down through Illinois back in the fifties and early sixties. If they could do it, why can't railroads today?

Jeff C

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Jeff,

Ha!! The short answer is "because it is a freight owned railroad"! I thought most Amtrak trains outside of a few corridors (NEC, LA to SD, Chicago to...?) were limited to 79 MPH anyway? Is that CSX or NS they go down? If CSX, 79 MPH would be very fast!! Scary even.

Bottom line: Passenger trains don't pay the railroad's bills. Not a priority.

Nick, were you guys violating Rule G operating a Hudson at 150 MPH?! I read in NH Power (Swanberg) that when the NYC Hudsons were roller tested up to something like 175 MPH before they exhibited any high speed slipping and hammering of the rails. So, you were probably OK at those speeds, provided your trackwork is up to snuff! But I hope you guys had passenger car trucks under the cars carrying the brews!

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
BNSF runs Amtrk west through KS at 90. Rode the head end many times. Biggest reason for not operating at 100 plus is cost to up grade track to meet the FRA standards and then try and maintain with all the heavy freights using it which tears the RR up much like trucks to a high way. Later RJD

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
With the knowledge that the curves are 20' diameter, then the apparent speed is probably exaggerated by the camera, it must be a telephoto shot effectively.

Beer run trains? Is that where the drink names "highball" also comes from? ha ha!

Passenger trains may not pay the bills, but no one will use them if they are way slower than a car. The Surfliner goes 92-94 every day between Oceanside and San Clemente here on the coast, I pace it often.

That hudson seems like it could pull stumps!

Regards, Greg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Posted By markoles on 09/18/2008 10:04 AM
Jeff,
Ha!! The short answer is "because it is a freight owned railroad"! I thought most Amtrak trains outside of a few corridors (NEC, LA to SD, Chicago to...?) were limited to 79 MPH anyway? Is that CSX or NS they go down? If CSX, 79 MPH would be very fast!! Scary even.
Bottom line: Passenger trains don't pay the railroad's bills. Not a priority.
Nick, were you guys violating Rule G operating a Hudson at 150 MPH?! I read in NH Power (Swanberg) that when the NYC Hudsons were roller tested up to something like 175 MPH before they exhibited any high speed slipping and hammering of the rails. So, you were probably OK at those speeds, provided your trackwork is up to snuff! But I hope you guys had passenger car trucks under the cars carrying the brews!

Mark,
I sware the speedometer said only 35 MPH../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif HE HE HE the beer was carfully suspended in the box cars with bungie cords, and only i case to a car to prevent damage...HA HA Ha, up here on our RR beer is the #1 comadaty,, i know i didnt spell that right but/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif all trackage has been upgraded to super elavated track for high speed beer runs from Pats in dover plains to me in Kingston to assure speedy delivery , also all our engineers are reqired to hand over all cell phones and other devices before work to avoid distractions. ;)
Greg our beer train is called the high ball express how did you know? HE HE HE/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif and yes the hudsons do have a lot of power, they do pull well, one of these days im going to bring 2 of mine down to run but im affraid thell get scratched or something, but i guess its going to happen sooner or later.. had my gg-1 out once and i put a small ding in her, i was not to thrilled out that but what you gonna do things happen.hope you guys are enjoying all the videos, my knees are starting to get worn out from bending down all the time video taping...
Nick

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
The Highball drink comes from the old "All clear" signal used at early stations. Essentially, it was a 1' diameter ball on a loop of rope attached to a pole. A high ball for "all clear" and lowered for "stop". At night, they must have used a lantern or something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts