G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Dec 08 GRR, Eric Schade has a nice article on building a logging train.

For the journal bearings, he used the eyelets which he said were actually "brass tubing cut to length then flared it out like brass eyelets"

IOW, he didn't use "brass eyelets" but used brass tubing and made it flair.

1. How do you make it flair?

2. Why would you want it to flair, since he used CA to hold it in place in the wood frames?

I'll take a guess, he purchased some sort of flair tool or, he might have heated the end and used a #6 nail to twirl it around to make it flair?

I'll take another guess at #2. The flair is added protection to hold axle end in the frame.

3. Something else I'm curious about. Would you want the tubing to just about touch the wheel to reduce wandering?

MUCH THANKS!!!!! (in advance)

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi,

I think the flare he is talking about is slight - not much: so a tapered drift (grind a taper like a sharpened pencil slope onto a nail) would do the job; the reason would possibly to locate them (tapped in (with a hammer (NO screw thread) with a smear of glue to hold them in.

Why use brass tube - because he had that in stock, as he says eyelets can be used, and the taper on those is quite slight.

Then the friction in the brass tube bearing is lessened - the flare reduces the bearing depth

For #3 personally I would have added a couple of layers of plastic on the end to look like an axlebox, and that would keep the axles in place. The above mentioned 'flare' could also assist in keeping the axles in place - all the would do if loose would add some shimmy as they passed along the rails - logging trains did not travel fast - they were very slow, about 5 - 10 mph or so. The track was usually appalling, as it was very temporary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts