G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the LGB by Lemann car of this description and I was just wondering how it might have actually been used in a consist. Here is a photo of a real one in a photo on ebay: Denver & Rio Grande Western (D&RGW) Combination Car 215 with Cupola - 8x10 Photo | eBay
Since it has a cupola, I believe that it would be used as part of a freight train that needed to haul a few passengers and/or baggage. If anyone has a photo (can't see enough in the ebay photo) of one used in a consist back in the day, that would be great. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
DRGW combine 215 didnt always have the cupola, it was added, then removed in the later years. The car is still in use, I believe on the C&T. It was called the Pagosa Junction combine. I have an Sn3 brass model of it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
To my understanding, The 215 was used on mixed freight and passenger trains on the Pagosa Springs branchline.

it allowed for limited local passenger ‘shuttle’ service as well as a cupola for the crew to watch the train. Possibly livestock handlers.
the drgw had 3 of these modified coach to combine cars.

while commonly referred to as a drovers caboose, in all the many books on drgw that i have, i have never seen the 215 behind a livestock train, only a caboose. Nor have i ever read any us book using the term ‘drovers caboose’. Doesnt mean anything, i guess, other than 1; i havent seen this outside large scale forums, 2. I recall first seeing the term used by large scale manufacturers.

and, it could be that some of the livestock trains simply didnt have terribly long trips between pick up and drop off of cattle.

there was a change in the 20’s requiring livestock to be fed routinely.
so, cowboys accompanied the cattle.

·
Registered
Fn3 narrow gauge
5 Posts
To my understanding, The 215 was used on mixed freight and passenger trains on the Pagosa Springs branchline.

it allowed for limited local passenger ‘shuttle’ service as well as a cupola for the crew to watch the train. Possibly livestock handlers.
the drgw had 3 of these modified coach to combine cars.

while commonly referred to as a drovers caboose, in all the many books on drgw that i have, i have never seen the 215 behind a livestock train, only a caboose. Nor have i ever read any us book using the term ‘drovers caboose’. Doesnt mean anything, i guess, other than 1; i havent seen this outside large scale forums, 2. I recall first seeing the term used by large scale manufacturers.

and, it could be that some of the livestock trains simply didnt have terribly long trips between pick up and drop off of cattle.

there was a change in the 20’s requiring livestock to be fed routinely.
so, cowboys accompanied the cattle.
Out of curiosity, what numbers are the other D&rgw modified combine cars?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I went back to try to find the basis of my statement, and I cannot at present.

it is possible i got tye 212 215 cars in my mind as separate, but they are the same.

i may have made a mistake in my post, but im looking.

i recall one car with a bay window, possibly a coach….

let you know if and when i can find the roster list I believe i saw.

·
Junior Senior Member
655 Posts
I think the 215 was the only combine that had a cupola grafted on. It was used on the Pagosa branch which did not have much traffic hauling people, so was attached to the end of a freight to cover the problem. It is still on one of the tourist railroads, cannot recall if it is Durango & Silverton or the Cumbres & Toltec. If you look at the clerestory you can still see the area it was installed in as there are no little "windows" there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts