G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to take apart an LGB Rusty" Lake George & Boulder 0-4-0 Tank Steam Locomotive.

It's my first attempt at kitbash.
I've taken the fat red part, the tank? and the cabin off, that was easy. I now want to connect a different front lamp and attach a new bell and steam dome directly to the cylindrical black narrow shell. I'm sure I have to unscrew the bottom to get to the inside of the shell but I don't want to do it wrong and run the risk of damaging the motor block or not being able to put it back together again.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
IIRC from the underside. Unscrew the cab and remove the cab, then unscrew the smokestack. That should allow you to lift off the boiler.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Underneath you will see 2 screws just inside from the cylinders. They hold the boiler at the front. The cab holds the boiler on the back.

Andrew

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Done!
Looks like that weight is nicely glued in there, maybe best just to drill from the top and glue the new bell and steam dome?

On second thoughts since the new bell is light I'll just make a hole and glue it from the top, the new steam dome is heavy thick brass, so I'll drill right thru the weight and hold the steam dome with a screw from inside.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Vic they are the ones that got me too. I'm in the middle of customizing a few. A tram and a Hawaiian.

TTT, The lead weight is held in by the two screws on top of the boiler. None of my weights were glued. It's not like you will ever need to remove it anyway so yeah I might do the same thing because my new domes will cover those weight screws. There is a screw under the valve covers that releases the cylinder too. I would like to lower the cylinders so inline with the axles but looks to be a bit involved. They can stay where they are.

Andrew

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The image I used as inspiration could not be uploaded, tried all sorts of ways "this is not a valid image file" message. I'm afraid it will only look a bit like it anyway. I'm getting rid of the saddle or rather storing it away. I'm considering making the lamp out of wood, the one I ordered from Bachmann is too small. Tomorrow I'll try an old copper roof for the cab.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Probably not a web image type file. Needs to be a jpg, gif, png.
There is not a lot around as far as larger kerosene lamps go.

Andrew

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
AG. It will remain an 0 4 0 since the idea is to make it as small as possible, reducing the cab to 1/29 scale to make the biggest size contrast with the 2 8 8 2 mallet. I don't know the proper name or the function of the extra hump on top of the shell, but I am discarding it and since it has the bell and steam dome attached, I will use new ones directly attaching them to the narrow shell. The photo that I am roughly imitating is similar to your first uploaded photo, except the cab is closer to the front and the kerosene lamp is square and very big. I have noticed that some engines have pipes between boiler and cylinders, I imagine to provide steam to the cylinders, other engines have thin pipes downwards from the steam dome, some do not. Do you know the function of these? Or the function of the fat hump on top of the shell?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
The extra lump on the boiler is the saddle water tank. It would help give traction to a small locomotive to store the water there. I'm not entirely sure but the dome sticking out of the tank is probably a sand dome. The steam dome is inside the cab so I think you should remove that if having 2 domes outside but you may need to set the cab back to make room. You could put the bell on top of the smaller sand dome.
I thought you might be putting on a large square kerosene lamp. I saw a picture once of a porter with a huge one! Accucraft make a nice big lamp for the C-16 but it has been sold out from spare parts for quite some time now.
The LGB Porter is about 1:20 in scale. A 1:29 conversion is all a bit different to what I'm thinking with mine. As far as piping goes just find something similar and copy that I guess. I think the pipes running down from the dome are sand lines to the wheels. If you remove the tank you then need a small tender.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yeah, nice big headlight! Very similar cab and stack to what you already have. That's a sand dome with sand lines to the front wheels. It would have the steam dome in the cab probably below the whistle. The fire box is right at the back perhaps for a big grate area for burning anthracite coal for fuel.
It is very narrow gauge looking though.

Andrew

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
TTT,

After seeing the photo of the engine you want to "bash", I wanted to let you know you can get a couple of various "old timey" headlamps from Trackside Details here in California. I assume you are living outside the U.S. (because of some of the "terminology" you have used), so maybe this is not a great idea. Here is the link for Trackside Details. I buy a lot of detail items from them. Excellent parts and fairly inexpensive.

http://www.tracksidedetails.com/index.html

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great list of parts, thank you, the dome on page 2 is almost exactly or exactly the one I'm installing right now, bought from Reed's Hobby Shop in La Mesa California. I hope they have a big lamp. I will certainly buy a whistle.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I don't think they have a large headlight. A bit hard to tell though.

Probably a little late now but here is a locomotive that could pass as a standard gauge one in 1:29 while keeping proportions small using the same engine block. It is actually narrow gauge loco of unknown builder from Costa Rica.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks Andrew, nice name Maria Cecilia for a small locomotive, I'm afraid this being my first kitbash ever, I'm not so ambitious as to try to make a replica of something that was, I'm happy if it looks like something that might have been, with that in mind I think its coming along nicely. I've written asking for the size of their box type lamp but I also expect it will be smaller than I want. I'm toying with the Idea of making my own out of brass, wood and the front of a small flashlight.
At some point if you want we could post our progress, you must of course give me a beginners handicap and not laugh at my work.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
There you go. I must admit I tend to buy Caseys which are made in Germany. Rusty and Anna are made in Korea.
They are very much the same inside and out but there has been some suggestion that the plastic in the non German made items may not be as good. Don't over tighten the bottom cover plate as they can to crack if you do.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 28 Posts