G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

I am always worried about running out of smoke fluid and burning up the MTH Protosmoke unit, but I'm also worried about filling it too much and having a messy fluid overflow inside the engine.

So I have couple of questions...

1. Is there any way to measure how much fluid is in the MTH Protosmoke unit?
I was thinking that we might use some sort of "dip stick" to measure the fluid level (a toothpick maybe?). I have not tried this because I fear inserting a toothpick into the smoke stack might damage the heating coil or wick). Is this safe?

2. What is the fluid volume capacity of the Protosmoke unit in number of drops, milliliters (ml)?

3. Do you prefer using the MTH Protosmoke fluid container or some other type of bottle or syringe?
I've noticed that it is hard to get just drops to come out. If the bottle is full or if I squeeze it too hard, a stream come out and I loose count of the drops.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I don't have the same smoker that you do, but I do check the level on my pulsed smoke unit (from Train-Li) by the "dipstick" method. The heating element and wick are metal, so a wooden dipper isn't likely to do much damage, as long as you're gentle.

I found toothpicks to be too short, so I use bamboo barbeque skewers. They're long enough to reach, but thin enough to fit between the fan blades of the pulsed smoker. But do be careful not to force things. You didn't mention if you're running analog or DCC, but on some DCC decoders you can set a timer to turn off the smoke unit after a set period to avoid running it dry. What I'd love to see would be a smoke unit with a sensor that wouldn't turn on (or would automatically turn off) if there was no fluid in the reservoir.

For filling, I have some needle-tip plastic bottles that I got from Amazon (I think). They're good for getting the smoke to go down into the smoke unit and not all over the inside of the stack.

·
Super Modulator
21,340 Posts
A long time ago, a bunch of us on the Aristo forum tried to get hold of the capacity and how much to fill the smoke units.

Here's some of what we found:

1. no way to do a dipstick, you can put a syringe into the unit and suck out all the juice and then add a known quantity to a known empty unit.

2. sticking s syringe into most units does involve some danger to damaging the wick.

3. filling the reservoir full can make it spill when placing on the track or moving.

In our case, we found the reservoir held 4.5 ml, but 4 ml was the best max to fill.

I'd get some syringes and start with an empty unit and figure out the capacity.

Then, only refill when it is out, and you know how much to add.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
in my K27 smoke unit i put 20cc in the Harbor Hobby SU ,additionally i installed a small tube which reached ca 5 mm above the bottom of the smoke reservoir : the logic behind : when the smoke fluid gets low smoke will come out of the :check tube ,a clear(actually smoky) signal to refill!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your comments.

By the way, can smoke fluid overflow cause any actual damage to the engine's internal components?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thanks guys for your comments.

By the way, can smoke fluid overflow cause any actual damage to the engine's internal components?
It partly depends on the smoke fluid, and where it drips. I've read some discussions about problems with the LGB Mallet, where the smoke unit is directly above the front motor block. Smoke fluid and electronics don't mix. But the LGB smoke fluid, at least, is safe for the LGB plastic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts