G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. How do I post (link to) a picture on another web site using the new editor?

Although I am a first class member, most of the photos I want to post are already on our club’s web site. It seems redundant to also upload them to my first class member’s web space.

2. When I post a picture using the Image Insert Icon, the MLS Editor gives me fits. Despite leaving a space to insert a picture, it always ends up jumping on some text.

3. When the cursor is clicked in place using a mouse, the Editor will sometimes jump (scroll) to another part of screen. This is particularly problematic when highlighting. The Editor seems to have a mind of its own as to what should be highlighted. I had to resort to using the arrows keys instead.

Please be aware I am not technology challenged. I have had home computers for 26 years and used them almost every day. I have made hundreds of posts including pictures on several large scale forums including MLS, and have posted most of the material and pictures on our extensive club web site using both a rich text editor and HTML code editor. So I don’t want some moron posting “I’m not having a problem” which really doesn’t answer the question, but does antagonize the person seeking an answer enough to remember it months afterwards.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Paul

If you are using the Insert Image dialog and you are attempting to use a source other than the MLS server (i.e. 1st Class Member). Then after clicking the Insert Image button and the respective dialog displays. On the right hand side just below the image viewing pane, you'll find a field labeled URL: you can left-click in the text area and manually type in the URL you desire, or if you've already got the URL copied to your local clipboard then right-click in the same text area and then select paste, and the URL should be copied from your clipboard into the field.

Depending on your local settings for font size, accessibility settings, and/or resolution, all of the contents may not be visible within the dialog and there is no scrolling available in the dialog. In that case use the {Tab} key to navigate to the bottom of the dialog so that the {Insert} button can be seen then click it.

Leastwise that works for me using MS/Internet Explorer v7.0.6001

I would have said to just use the UBB/BBC/Forum Code square bracket image tags and enclose your image's URL with them in the editor's content area, but I just tried doing that and found the conversion to be mucked-up.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
You shouldnt inset a photo that isnt yours into a message, so that the actual photo shows up.
that is called "hot linking" and it is generally frowned upon, because it can sometimes cost people money..

if its not actually your photo, and if its hosted on space you dont pay for yourself, you should always just provide a link only,

like this:

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/7/5/2/1752.1225171019.jpg

use the "insert hyperlink" button rather than the "insert image" button..

Scot

Hi Scotty, Deleted the extras for you; don;t know what went wrong but they are now gone. Peter Bunce - moderator

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Paul - posting an image should be a simple matter of pasting its URL into the appropriate box in the Insert Image window. Not sure why you're having problems with the Editor as it works okay for me (not meant to be flippant - I personally just don't have those problems). Almost all of my photos are hosted on one of my own domains, and not in my 1st Class space.

I would suggest two things to see if it helps...

1 - leave MLS and clear your cache. That should delete all files associated with MLS including the Editor code, which should re-download when you return to MLS and add a reply.

2 - make sure you're running the current version of Java [url]http://java.com/[/url]

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Steve!

You comment about tabbing down while using the INSERT IMAGE SCREEN was the missing piece of the puzzle. I could not see the INSERT button at the bottom before.

I still had problems with the Editor jumping up a screen after I place the cursor, but it may be that I am using too large a resolution on my screen settings as it is easier on my old eyes. After changing my screen setting to the next level, I no longer have to scroll side-to-side reading messages. Hopefully this may also solve the screen jumping problem in the Editor.

As with any new software there is always a learning curve. Fortunately there are lots of knowledgeable people here to help out with suggestions to try and resolve any problems.

Thanks Dwight!

My version of Java was quite outdated.

The following is just a test to see if I can post more easily using a higher resolution screen.

Another shot of the Dave Goodson Turntable.

A Pacific steaming across the high trestle at Lily.

Much better! The screen does jump anymore, but I still have to tab down to the INSERT button as it does not show even at 1024 x 768 resolution. That I can live with!

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Paul

Most likely you've changed the setting in the Internet Options (i.e. accessed via the Tools menu on the browser's menu bar, or from the Control Panel, that's assuming the use of some flavor of MS/Windows & MS/Internet Explorer).

On the General tab of the Internet Options dialog, down in the lower-right corner you'll find a button labeled Accessibility if you left-click that you'll see the Accessibility sub-dialog displayed, there you'll most likely find the Ignore font sizes specified in web pages option selected. If you clear that option (i.e. un-check the checkbox) then left-click the OK button in both the Accessibility and then the Internet Options dialogs you'll go back to the small font size specified in the MLS forum software, and then all of the contents within the editor's Insert Image dialog will be once again visible.

Switching back and forth really isn't all that much work, once you get the pattern down. But using the {Tab} key works as well, sometimes I use one method the next time I may use the other depends on my current mood.

Just as a FYI there's another setting that you can play around with, but in doing so you'll be changing more than what your browser does it will also change what your local applications look like on your system too. and that's modifying the default size of the base font size from the default of 96 DPI (Dots per Inch) to something larger.

If you're using MS/XP or an ealier MS/operating system...
[*] Start
[*] Settings
[*] Control Panel
[*] Display
[*] Settings tab
[*] Advanced button
[*] General tab
[*] Multiple settings and Custom
[/list] [/list] If you're using MS/Vista...
[*]Right-click on the Desktop [*]Personalize [*]Adjust Font Size (DPI), (Upper-left of window) [*]Default scale (96 DPI) [*]Larger scale (120 DPI) [*]Custom button [/list] [/list]

Have fun.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By Paul Norton on 10/31/2008 11:23 AM

Even an old dog can learn new tricks.

As one "old dog" to another, yes we can and I try to do just that at least once every day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts