G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I want to use a small portion of my mls 1st lass web space to host a tiny web site, about 2-3 Meg.
The idea is to register a domain name with godaddy or somebody like that and then when people click on that domain name, bring up the web site from my mls web space.
I have it set up now so that I can test the website on mls by going to one link in a folder on my mls web space - trouble is that godaddy (which is the only one I looked at this far) needs TWO name servers.

"If you selected Custom Nameservers, enter your nameservers. You must enter at least two nameservers for your domain."

What would they be? Right now I just click on a "Frame" html link on my mls webspace and everything works as expected.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
What you want to do with Godaddy is set it to use their default name servers, and then set up domain forwarding to your mls space.  When someone types in your domain name, Godaddy then forwards them to your MLS space.  If you want the domain name to come up as your space, I have to set up hosting.  I can do that, but there is a fee involved as it takes up my time and resources.  If you're interested, drop me an email. 

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply, Shad.

Right now I ran into another little snag in that godaddy doesn't list being able to register .ca domains.
The suitable .com domains are all taken.

So I might need to go with another registrar and then see what options they have to set this up.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Posted By krs on 03/24/2008 4:29 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Shad.

Right now I ran into another little snag in that godaddy doesn't list being able to register .ca domains.
The suitable .com domains are all taken.

So I might need to go with another registrar and then see what options they have to set this up.

KRS,

You won't get anywhere with another registrar.  They all work on the same internet, and when you ask if a name is available, they go out to the internet and try to access it - if it is not there then they offer it to you. 

The ".ca" domains are Canadian, and by custom, each country gets to manage it's own domain names.  www.dot.ca will help you in that respect - I see no reason why they shouldn't offer it to you - if a canadian website name is what you really want.

Nowadays you can get .net, .org, .info, .us, and .biz domains and they all work just like a .com.  [If you use .org, you are supposed to be a non-profit or similar.]

The names are actually stored on Nameservers, and the internet has a service (DNS) that finds the nameserver with the name of your website in order to find the physical location of the site.  Most registrars have their own nameservers, and as part of the registration fee you get to 'point' their servers at your actual website.  If you choose the 'custom' nameserver option, you are telling them you don't want their free nameserver service.  Incidentally, there are two because they have back-up in case one goes down!

When you create your website at MLS, the URL (name) will be something like http://gold.mylargescale.com/PeteThornton/html/index.html.  (Note - all websites start at an 'index.html' page.)  You don't really need another name - this one works everywhere that the internet goes.  When you decide that you want a different website name, you select it, pay for it, and tell the registrar's name servers to point to http://gold.mylargescale.com/KRS/html/index.html or whatever your home page is actually called.

You can have as many names as you want, and they can all point to the same site (though you pay a few $ to your hosting service for each extra one.) I bought www.lux-prop.com because my local boss' website is www.annapolisluxuryproperties.com, and that's a lot to put in a small classified newspaper ad!  The both get you to the same place, which is actually something much more complicated at our Aplus.net hosting service.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pete -

Thanks for taking the time to write.

I was pretty much aware of what you posted - however one thing I only found out just before my last post on this subject is that only a Canadian based registrar is permitted to sell .ca domains and one has to meet certain requirements to be able to apply and use a .ca domain, basically either be a Canadian citizen or if it's a company have majority Canadian ownership.

The .us domain has similar requirements:
http://www.nic.us/policies/nexus_requirement.html

Thus godaddy, being a US company, cannot register .ca domains even though the name is still available. The name and any reasonable derivative thereof, is already taken with .com, .org, .net and all the other common ones.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
"The Name . ."  have you tried going to the web page (s) with those names?  There are quite a few 'parked' waiting for someone to come along and purchase them. 

1 - 6 of 6 Posts