G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 3 packs of Wal-Mart asst wood square stock @$1.44/pkg. Free. Here's how:

First, I took the 'Magic, Garryunteed to win Key' I got in the mail down to the local Ford dealer.

I tried to bum a cup of coffee, like they have for the customers. My salesman was having none of this crap from old guys with giveaway crap in their hand. Asked if I wanted bacon 'n eggs too. I brightened right up and said, "Why sure! Strawberry jelly 'n toast, if you have it."

Asked to sell me a car. I told him I didn't have any money, on SS. I just wanted my 'free' prize.

Told me he could put me in a ride for $99/mo. "A new one? Sure!" I answered, even brighter. No, a used one. An old used one. I said I had two of those, could I have my prize?

"I have to try to sell you a car, first."

I said, "Okay, try. Pontiac didn't cut it last month, let's see your pitch." (Like, do I look like I fell off a turnip truck and just rolled into his showroom? I'm 65.)

He finally did look at me. He led me over to the 'GAME WIZARD!! MASTER COMPUTER! That's what the sign said on top, but it looked like an old TV Monitor to me. He punched in my phone no, addr, and hit "ENTER" A bell chimed. He explained, as one to those who can't read: "You get the $5 Wallmart debit card." I said, "Hey, great! How 'bout the coffee?" He said no on the coffee but led me to a tastefully cut out quart-oil bottle box that had a narrow security slot cut carefully in the top with a pocketknife. "You can put your Walmart card in here." I said I wanted to take it to Walmart. He said I could enter to win up to $1,000 by Saturay. By now he was pretty disgusted with me. I said I please wanted my Walmart card, my meds were due to be picked up.

I took my Walmart card, thanked him, and left. Went down to Wally and got my 3 pks of lumber. Clerk told me I had 35 cents left on it. Old black guy standing next in line. I asked him, "You want 35 cents?" He took the card and thanked me.

I walked out with my free wood. Life is good, sometimes.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike, glad you got a chuckle this morning.

Garrett:

I dunno what's with the new breed of salesmen. This guy knew why I was in there, the ad was so big the mailman had to fold it to get it in my oversized mailbox. Not exaggerating, I think it was 12 x 18". With this cheesy plastic key glued on. So, why the sarcasm about the coffee 'n breakfast? Was it his? Did he have to make it? So, why not give the geezer a cup of coffee, or just point to the mess area and say, 'help yourself'?

Okay, he's under orders to try to sell me a car. I understand that and tell him the truth: I'm not about to buy another car. He insists. One thing I didn't mention was, just like the Pontiac guy last month, the first thing he lays off on me is this lecture about how well cars are selling--new ones--but he can really wheel 'n deal me on a used one, just out of warranty. Now, yesterday on Fox News, I hear 'em report that GM may go into bankruptcy. I hear it reported that all the car companies are taking a huge hit--the Big Three, anyway. My private summary of the guy was, he was young and had no respect for old men. And yet he had go through the hoops with me. And he made it clear he was above all that. Pointed at that new Mustang and said, "Bet you'd like to win that!" I said I remembered the original issue, which was a lot smaller, and anyway, I'm a pickup truck sorta guy. But he plows on, attitude 'n all.

I tell him I'm not interested. Nicely. Several times. At last, he gives me my 'prize'. Then tries to get me to essentially give it back by dropping it in the oil carton to see if I can win $1K. I tell him I don't play the lottery, either, and leave.

Sounds like a lotta grief for a few sticks of sqaure wood, huh? I enjoyed every minute of making that guy feel frustrated. I thought it was all funny enough to post about.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Del,

Car salesmen are truly a different breed of cat. My father used to say they were the descendants of horse traders.

Now that I truly don't care whether I ever buy another new car or not, I can take a little time and get my evens. Not that I even care to. I just don't put up with being treated like a moron anymore.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow,

I'd not heard that salesmen were working straight commision again! They did that in the '50s a lot, if memory serves. Wow, I ... almost ... feel sorry for 'em.

I hear an awfully lot of people are having their old vehicles repaired at quite stiff prices, to avoid another purchase. Wouldn't you think, at some point in time, the manufacturers would realize the things are just too expensive? I wonder if that's really true?

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Posted By sschaer on 03/13/2009 5:59 AM
nice story ! free wood for almost $5.

i bet your car burned gas for $20 to drive to the dealer and then to walmart ..... ;-)

No, it burned less than a gallon: about 14 miles to have a little fun, get out on a cold morning and block traffic (it's a Montana minvan MT). How often do you get to be annoying on someone else's dime?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Posted By East Broad Top on 03/13/2009 1:09 AM
I was at a car dealership a few years ago (on the "used", er, "previously owned" side of things), when a large rat came scurrying across the showroom floor. One of the sales reps yelled "There's a rat! Kill it!" I quickly ducked under the desk. The salesman asked what the heck I was doing. Having the attention of all the salesmen in the room now, I said "I'm in a room full of used car salesmen, and someone yells 'kill the rat!' I don't know which of y'all's gonna get that bullet, but it ain't gonna hit me first." They enjoyed the laugh, but it didn't make them any more willing to agree to my terms.
[edited]
Later,

K

Okay, now doing that took some cajones. I don't think I wanna go that far.

Funny, tho.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Posted By david bunn on 03/13/2009 5:19 AM
I have always thought that the best way to go is to support your local dealer if the deal is in the ballpark, maybe not the cheapest but he will be there for you if problems arise.
Car dealers are not decended from horse traders, that is estate agents of course!!
Bunny

I'm not sure how deep an insight you have on American midwest slang, but horse traders were considered to be the illegitimate offspring of horse thieves and soiled doves.

I have never, ever had a dealer honor a warranty in my life. Nada. None. New or used. Like I said, 'car salesmen are a different breed.' I'm sure there are some honest ones, no given class is without exceptions, you will agree, I think.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Posted By aceinspp on 03/13/2009 12:33 PM
Bottom line to all this, is don't mess with senior citizens. The older we get the better we get.
Later RJD

Right on, right on.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Posted By Ray Dunakin on 03/13/2009 7:32 PM

BTW, speaking of car salesmen, according to an old Chevy training film I've seen, there once was a time when they sold cars door-to-door!

That's a new one on me. Heh, if things keep up, they might start doing it again.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Posted By Truthman on 03/13/2009 8:15 PM
Great Story....But how much is your time worth?

Depends. If you want to hire me, a whole lot. (I can't even afford myself.)

If I'm loafing around town, nothing. "No place to go, and all day to get there."

Les

1 - 10 of 10 Posts