G Scale Model Train Forum banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am 47. Started in this scale the Xmas of '83 with my first LGB starter set. Used to have a 4x8 Lionel platform which leaned against the bedroom wall most of the time. Slowly increased my collection each Birthday and Xmas. Rarely could do more than run them around the Xmas tree or a small circle on the back patio since I moved a lot. Now though, I have a nice house with a very large patio that we plan to stay in for awhile. I have set my trains up running atop the outside retaining wall and through the patio. Have about a 140' loop with one passing siding in the unused corner of the patio. My focus now is creating a small station and village around that siding. Settled on old western DRGW era a few years back and sold off my Euro stock. I like steam engines because of the moving parts and chuffs. It also gives me an excuse to run short trains. Engines run old MTS IIS because that was the thing back when I bought it in 2002 but will eventually upgrade. Trying to figure out how to set up the track to run more than two engines at a time as I never had the space to worry about it before. I don't really operate my trains as much as I prefer to sit back, relax and watch them with a cigar and tasty beverage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just turned 30 on Monday. I've been into trains my whole life and started model railroading when I was 6. I started in HO since that's what my grandfather did, but also received a Lionel set from my neighbors. After years of jumping between the two, I chose O, though I also do some OO on the side. I got into G this summer figuring I wouldn't be able to travel anywhere because of you-know-what, so I bought a secondhand LGB Stainz set on eBay and then dived into Live Steam with an Accucraft Ruby. So I only have about two months experience in G Scale.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I turned 82 on Thursday. Yesterday I ran my shared coal fired K27 for a couple of hours on Joe's RR, a fellow club member. Wesley, the co owner of the K27 also ran it for a while. Joe also ran his propane fired K36. It was great to get together with friends, run trains and visit.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Funny thing about that. We just keep aging until the end.
I'm 74 now, and my posting photo is 12 years old, but I don't know how to update it. Below is a more recent photo.

It was taken on a Sunday when our hand bell choir had a selection for the service. That is why I look like I am attending an undertakers' convention.

All the best, David Meashey

Attachments

·
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
The nice thing about this hobby is that one can drop in or out from time to time and friendships continue unbroken.

I have been inactive but continued to receive emails from MLS so here I am - in Central Arkansas, it’s 9 degrees outside, it’s snowing, yet I can view posts from friends worldwide that I have been out of touch with for years.

Jerry

121 - 136 of 136 Posts