G Scale Model Train Forum banner
81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
How old are we

I'm 66 years young, started in F scale in 2007 but previously in HO for about 30 years, started with Lionel as a boy with a hiatus from model trains from about 15 to 26 including a little tour through the jungle courtesy of Richard Nixon from 19 to 25. I find this to be the greatest hobby for creativity and imagination and it encompasses every aspect of skill sets for each individual to explore

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
At 63, I have a hard time seeing my HO trains in my office, so Z is out of the question. I just got done spending an hour working on a switch and curve joint so my SW2 would make it past without derailing. Like so many things in life, if I had it to do over, I would have made the table a little bigger and built a layout for my American Flyer. My G layout is on the back patio. I don't think it's been run on since Jerry was here a year ago. Even the HO has set here for the most part without being run. I've come to the realization that I'm a collector, not an operator. Some loose their mind, I've lost my motivation.:(

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Just picked up my national park pass for $10 ,good for a lifetime,yes you guessed it right,add 2��

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
:)you probably wont believe it, but i'm 13 years old. started in LS 3 years ago with a big hauler. since the, have scratchbuilt one loco, bashed others, and accumulated a large amount of USA trains, Aristocraft, Bachmann, LGB, and the old lionel g scale.

·
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I am 19 and turning 20 in a few weeks. I've been into trains all my life but highly active since 2010 as a volunteer at the Fairplex Garden Railroad.

:)you probably wont believe it, but i'm 13 years old. started in LS 3 years ago with a big hauler. since the, have scratchbuilt one loco, bashed others, and accumulated a large amount of USA trains, Aristocraft, Bachmann, LGB, and the old lionel g scale.
Whether 19 or 13, I believe you!

The two of you along with others of your ages are the real future of this great hobby. As the rest of us keep getting older there may be an opportunity for you.

Perhaps you could trade some of your time & effort as a means of adding to your own railroads.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
It took me a while to realize this thread started a year ago. But, it seems to keep on going.
63, been in large scale for about ten years. Had a Lionel set as a kid, HO as a teenager. Lots of train interest most of my life.

·
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
It took me a while to realize this thread started a year ago. But, it seems to keep on going.
63, been in large scale for about ten years. Had a Lionel set as a kid, HO as a teenager. Lots of train interest most of my life.
You surprised me in that I find it hard to believe that I started this topic a year ago today.

When I started in Large Scale (about 1997 I think) someone asked questions like these and the responses averaged out about 50 - 55 years old (about my age then).

About 10 years later someone else asked the questions again, and as I recall, the average age had moved up around 60 to 65.

Now the average age seems to have moved up around 70.

I think most of us had expected and hoped that the average age would go down and keep going down.

The downside is that over the years we have lost a lot of very talented people with a tremendous quantity and quality of knowledge and skills they freely shared with everyone.

Most of could readily put together a long list of those (from all over the world) who helped us individually grow in the hobby.

I for one miss those unsung heroes (and friends) a lot.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I am Robert Brown, started large scale in 95, scratch by hand, then in 97, built my workshop and went to machines and a CNC mill, lathe etc., then took 9 years to build my house, every once in a while, worked on trains and now, I am working on trains all of the time. Before trains, I built and flew RC aircraft. Been messing with trains since I was 10. I think I need to go to train-ahollics anonymous. I think that I have an obsession. I am 71 and love what I am doing.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts