G Scale Model Train Forum banner
61 - 80 of 137 Posts

·
Vendor
3,324 Posts
Boy, Jerry... You sure started it.... :p:p:p:p:p

78, counting and started in G gauge in 1999... Sold most of it in May of 2015 and shut the RR down. Kay and I are on the list for a Senior Retirement Living center. Ain't there yet, but we're a'plannin'. They'll even let us set up a train in the lobby now and then.....

However for now... We're running some of that new fangled WiFi O gauge stuff at the local mall with a bunch of them there 3 railers....

Runnin's trains with smart phones, iPads and tablets. Whoever hear'da such a thang...

But it sure is a real blast.. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
1:32 East Broad Top - 3-foot gauge represented using 1.25" model gauge
25 Posts
I'm 43 and been in large scale off and on over a period of maybe 15 years, but only seriously focused on it in the last year or so. Moving house and having kids tends to interrupt progress (and I think there might have been 'getting married' in there somewhere too....shoot, it's been so long I can't remember!), and it's only since the kids are old enough to get involved that my interest has returned.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Guess i'm young...

21, soon to be 22, loved trains apparently since I was 2 years old, started into G scale after playing with my late grandfather's attic LGB setup for years growing up. Got my first engine, a chocolate brown cab 1983 Stainz #1, and the collection blossomed from there thanks to an additional grandfather benefactor. I believe it was in 2010, and my first engine was an LGB 2010... Hmm... :rolleyes: Destiny? Irony?

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
Every time this subject comes up, I have to go back to see what I said last time, and--doggonnit--my answer keeps changing! What's up with that????? So much for consistency. Sheesh!

Fast approaching #45 (please e-mail for my birthday wish list), and have been in large scale for 40 of those years. I just found home-movie footage of me running a Lionel train in the basement at age 2. I'm pretty sure my parents used a throttle as a pacifier for me, though being the 2nd child, photographic evidence of my childhood in general is quite rare.

Later,

K

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm 34, and have been into large scale for about 23 years--since I first saw a garden railroad featured in Model Railroader magazine (I started with HO at age 3). I talked my parents into taking me on the 1993 NGRC tour, and now 23 years later I'm excited to have a layout on tour in the 2016 NGRC (as part of the post-tour in Sacramento).

·
Vendor
3,324 Posts
I started in 1999 with a LGB 30th anniversary set (a Birthday gift).
Like the plants in my garden, every time it rains my fleet grows and grows. (I should have lived in a desert)
Dan, I live in the desert and the fleet still grew. Almost every night elves would sneak in and leave more trains. Not sure if rain really affects it. :p:p:p:p:p

The only way I could stop it was to move to a Senior Living Center where I couldn't put a layout in or have train storage...

Sigh.. :D:D:D:D

61 - 80 of 137 Posts