G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just for the fun of it, let's see where the ages of MLSers now fall.

OK. Let's keep it simple.

1. How old are you and when did you start in large scale (or how many years have you been in large scale)?

I am 71 years old.

I started in large scale in 1997.

I think we will be surprised at how old we have become.

Cheers,

Jerry

·
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry, im not following your math there! ;)
if we wanted an average, we would add up the total responses, in actual ages, 78, 40, etc..then divide by number of responses..Im not sure how your +8 and -30 system works..
but I'll play anyway! ;)

Im 46, which is -24 in Jerrys system.
been into Large Scale since I was 30.

Scot
Hi Scot,

You made more sense than I did so let's go with your way. How old are you and how long have you been into Large Scale (either your age or the year you started Large Scale)?

That better?

Thanks,

Jerry

·
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
20 Year's old, almost 21. Started with an LGB Starter kit in 2004 for christmas. Picked my G Scale addiction back up in 2012 and started collecting. Got my USA Trains Big Boy #4004 on 9th of July 2015.

Been a large train fan my whole life, i love watching (I know it sounds stupid) the old thomas the tank engine episodes from back in the day where they used the small marklin engines,

Keep on Track!
Dean Wolfs
Hi Dean,

Move over,

It doesn't sound stupid for a 20 year old to enjoy Thomas The Tank, I'm a 71 year old who started with an LGB Starter Set in 1997(?) and got a slightly used USA Trains Big Boy #4000 in 20??. Poor BB just gets to run back & forth along an 11 foot wall but I love the majesty of watching and listening to it.

I still get a kick out of occasionally watching Thomas the Tank on TV.

Watching Thomas on TV or watching an LGB Starter Set or watching a USAT or MTH Big Boy, it's all the same. It's using our imagination to enhance the joy of life.

Cheers,

Jerry

·
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
I should point out that when I did the poll waybackwhen... the forum allowed one to create a series of checkboxes to click-on for people to select and then the system tallied the results for others to see (and you were only allowed to "vote" just once). That is why I indicate there were so many responses even though there were a lot fewer actual text replies to the poll. Too bad that feature has gone away as it made it a lot easier for people to respond without actually posting a text reply.
That was my original plan for this poll. I have just been told it may still be possible. Too late for this poll but perhaps the next poll about something.

·
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I am 19 and turning 20 in a few weeks. I've been into trains all my life but highly active since 2010 as a volunteer at the Fairplex Garden Railroad.

:)you probably wont believe it, but i'm 13 years old. started in LS 3 years ago with a big hauler. since the, have scratchbuilt one loco, bashed others, and accumulated a large amount of USA trains, Aristocraft, Bachmann, LGB, and the old lionel g scale.
Whether 19 or 13, I believe you!

The two of you along with others of your ages are the real future of this great hobby. As the rest of us keep getting older there may be an opportunity for you.

Perhaps you could trade some of your time & effort as a means of adding to your own railroads.

Jerry

·
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
It took me a while to realize this thread started a year ago. But, it seems to keep on going.
63, been in large scale for about ten years. Had a Lionel set as a kid, HO as a teenager. Lots of train interest most of my life.
You surprised me in that I find it hard to believe that I started this topic a year ago today.

When I started in Large Scale (about 1997 I think) someone asked questions like these and the responses averaged out about 50 - 55 years old (about my age then).

About 10 years later someone else asked the questions again, and as I recall, the average age had moved up around 60 to 65.

Now the average age seems to have moved up around 70.

I think most of us had expected and hoped that the average age would go down and keep going down.

The downside is that over the years we have lost a lot of very talented people with a tremendous quantity and quality of knowledge and skills they freely shared with everyone.

Most of could readily put together a long list of those (from all over the world) who helped us individually grow in the hobby.

I for one miss those unsung heroes (and friends) a lot.

Jerry

·
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
The nice thing about this hobby is that one can drop in or out from time to time and friendships continue unbroken.

I have been inactive but continued to receive emails from MLS so here I am - in Central Arkansas, it’s 9 degrees outside, it’s snowing, yet I can view posts from friends worldwide that I have been out of touch with for years.

Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts