G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
A few years back, was at one of those "Greatest Hobbies" shows and spoke with a guy there that was supposedly a Piko designer and he spoke of needing cheap entry level G model railroad stuff so parents would buy it for their kids and that would get them into the hobby. He spoke of G people being older and maybe literally being a dying market. And like the locomotive he was running costs like $550. My parents must have hated we kids as even with adjusting for inflation, they would have never bought something like that for us.

I can see model railroading losing popularity due to computers and video games and smaller homes and the desire for immediate satisfaction. I might see that G model railroading could tend to be more for the older kids as it can be expensive, take up expensive space, be used as a garden decoration, be something one can relax and watch.

Putting your info out on the Net is not really a good idea. I will say I am very experienced at being a kid. And I got into G in the 80s, can't remember when. Was a fan of G for a while and was a poor boy but then found a Bachmann set at some now long gone Pace club store and that was the beginning of wasting a bunch of money, time, and space.

Doug

1 - 2 of 2 Posts