G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just for the fun of it, let's see where the ages of MLSers now fall.

OK. Let's keep it simple.

1. How old are you and when did you start in large scale (or how many years have you been in large scale)?

I am 71 years old.

I started in large scale in 1997.

I think we will be surprised at how old we have become.

Cheers,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
For those who choose to respond let's just use plus or minus numbers over or under 70. For instance if you are 78 that would be +8 and if you are 40 that would be -30. This way if anyone wants an accurate count they can simply add the totals divided by the number of responses.

Jerry
Jerry, im not following your math there! ;)
if we wanted an average, we would add up the total responses, in actual ages, 78, 40, etc..then divide by number of responses..Im not sure how your +8 and -30 system works..
but I'll play anyway! ;)

Im 46, which is -24 in Jerrys system.
been into Large Scale since I was 30.

Scot

·
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry, im not following your math there! ;)
if we wanted an average, we would add up the total responses, in actual ages, 78, 40, etc..then divide by number of responses..Im not sure how your +8 and -30 system works..
but I'll play anyway! ;)

Im 46, which is -24 in Jerrys system.
been into Large Scale since I was 30.

Scot
Hi Scot,

You made more sense than I did so let's go with your way. How old are you and how long have you been into Large Scale (either your age or the year you started Large Scale)?

That better?

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Not sure how to fig. this.. We are 70 +10, but just got off of roof and trimmed some tree hanging down and remove a box of Lemons off of a tree that also hanging over the roof.. Clean out the sump cooler and make it ready for the summer so now just add and a feel like 10 yr's. to the plus 10. Lol.. Another words now feel like 90 like Jerry B.....we are old.
Also. we are still working on Trolley line and Wilsonville new pad off and on.

Oh... been in large scale somewhere over 15 yr's.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
The odds were against me, I'm 65, started G in the mid oughts ... 20 ought 4, took a couple of years off to beat advanced lung cancer, lost most of my hair and on some days all of my energy. Big 'plans for the day' have accumulated while sitting on the stoop tossing peanuts can make for a pleasant day.

This year the whole railroad rises 2 feet! I have the supplies, but see above....
I'd like to add an On3 loop while I'm at it. See how they accumulate?
Happy Rails,
John

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
69 years old. Got my first LGB starter set in 1985. Progressed to live steam in 2013.

Have played with trains since I was two years old. Biggest train - locomotive weighed 65 tons; gross train weight was around 450 tons. Didn't own it, but still got to play with it. Smallest train - basic Marklin Z scale starter set. No regrets either.

Have fun,
David Meashey

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Our ages were brought up back in 2010 and I posted a "Poll" in the Poll forum at that time. I only asked for age decade and then just to prove that we are also a bunch of clowns I added some other options as follows:

0 to 19
20 to 29
30 to 39
40 to 49
50 to 59
60 to 69
70 to 79
80 to 89
90 to oh dear!
Don't know
Don't care
Old enough
Not old enough
None of your business
I don't do polls
None of the above
All of the above

After a couple of weeks I collected the info and created an Excel spreadsheet and graph. See below:

The bottom third is a graph of the numerical data and a couple of lines showing the number of replies that fit the non-numerical data.

135 members responded with "real" (allegedly) answers and 29 proved that there are clowns amongst us. For a total number of responses of 164.
The average age of the 135 that provided "real" (truthfully or not) ages, was 52.56.

To explain the upper portion I'll explain the middle row: it indicates that 29 responses fell in the 50 to 59 age group (21.48%), with 58 in the groups less than 50 (42.96%) and 48 in the groups 60 and over (35.56%)

3 of the clowns amongst us indicated they don't know their age and 2 claimed they are all ages as well as "don't know", "don't care", are both "old enough and "not old enough" and think it is all "none of our business".

I felt that getting 164 responses was pretty good!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm 57
Just getting started with our large scale Garden train.
I have had a train around the Christmas tree since I was 3.
My younger brother and I received matching Lionel trains for Christmas in 1960.:cool:
They were both stolen in 1977. :mad:
But I had a new set by Christmas that year.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts