G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I have a 2-4-0 LGB Santa Fe. I am putting together a string of MDC 2 bay hoppers. Currently I have 14 hoppers. The steamer has pulled these hoppers around a small oval of track with 4 foot diameter curves verry well so far. But what is the limit for this little steamer? I have a Bachmann 2-4-2 with a stripped gear and have heard others talk about stripping gears by pulling too big a string of cars. Currently my temporary layout will be near level. If I am able to step up to my dream railroad, grades of 2% to as much as 4% may be incorporated.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Yeah be carefull, flats are one thing, grades are another. I have 4% grades and I limit my trains to 4 cars, maybe 5 max. mostly to not overtax the engine, unless I'm using one of my faux-Heisler bashes, then I can pull several cars, these are made from the same stripped gear 2-4-2 that you have, on a flat car body with a pair of Aristocraft centercab power bricks.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Good maintenance will help the gears last longer. But if a gear does ever strip you can get another easily enough to replace it.

If you want to run long trains, and want to reduce the load on the loco, you could switch to some freer rolling ball bearing wheels. Ball bearing wheels aren’t cheap, so it may be just better if you have a few spare gears in your tool box.

·
Vendor
3,324 Posts
RL.... Just a word about the LGB 2-4-0. I've gone through 4 gearboxes pulling too many cars on too steep grades and I was only pulling 3 Bachmann passenger cars.

That is a good little locomotive, but it is a little locomotive. LGB gnerally sells the locomotive with the tender and 2 cars. If I had another one, I wouldn't pull more than 2-3 cars on a flat track with minimum 8 foot curves.

Other idiocyncracies about the gearbox is that there are no bearings or bushings for the axles. They ride on the plastic case. Over a period of time, they will actually "oval" the case where they run. Also, the drive gear on the axle has a tendency to slide on the axle which moves it off the idler gear causing it to shut down and not go.... Motor's running but nobody's home..

Treat it with care, keep it on wide radius curves, pull a light load and have fun.

Just my experiences

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. Stan you really told me what I didn't want to hear but needed to hear. Sounds like I need to leave the coal drag to my F1A & B units and religate the little Steamer to a shorter line of freight cars. No Extreme Train for my 2-4-0!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts