Ok, I made four and found a problem in that the wheels don't run true and as such, they get loose and tight about the contacts enough to cause loss of contact then bind during a rotation.
So, I'll try to use thinner, and much more flexible, copper "extensions" keeping the brass for thickness in the center to keep things inplace. The extensions can then be bent out a bit to contact the inner wheel and will flex with runout rather than bind up the axle.
I also ordered a gear puller that I should be able to use to better distance and plane the wheels to the motor blocks reducing runout so that they run truer to stay in contact with the pickups. I should be able to do this only removing the sideframes.