G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just downloaded and printed Kevin Strong's latest project--his mogul bash--which ate up 12 sheets or crappy quality paper, not exactly what you'd find in a magazine. Now I appreciate the immediacy of the web and its breadth, which enables East Broad Top to expound on every detail of his conversion. But as someone who saves noteworthy posts, I find it annoying to transfer them to print in this manner. Plus I wind up with these huge file folders of "good stuff."

Does anyone have a better plan? Two-sided printing? Better quality paper? Sometimes, if I find a photo needs better reproduction I bring in the "good" paper. But that stuff is heavy and ya can't print out a whole article on photo paper.

Your thoughts?

Or should we get a bunch of guys and their posts on say, "Loco Bashing," together and print a magazine like those how-to specials Kalmbach keeps trying to sell me?

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
If it's really good, I copy/paste it into MS Word, edit to taste and save it as a document.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
I save the "good stuff" by printing it to a pdf file. The way this is done is by downloading and installing a new printer driver in your computer...but instead of the software controlling a real printer...it converts the matter to be printed to a pdf file that can be saved on your hard drive. You can open this pdf file with Adobe Reader and print it if you need to.

Now...this option used to work a lot better, because there USED TO BE, a feature in MLS that made any thread "printer friendly". What that did was generate ONE page of output that had all the posts in the threads. Today, that is a feature that has been asked by Shad to be added to the forum software...and it's not available yet. Soooooooooooooooo....while you can still print a thread to a pdf file, you must print them one page at a time, and then use a pdf editor to joint them together into one file...a lot of work.

The software I downloaded and use damn near every day is free. It can be downloaded from http://pdf995.com. There's a free pdf editor available too on that site.

Now for the good part...IF you also download and install Google Desktop and let it index your disk, it will read all the pdf files as well and include them in your index. That means you can use Google Desktop to almost instantly find any thread you've looked at or any file you have printed to a pdf file. It works very well...and it too is free.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike. I'll have to mull that one over, being computer illiterate and all.

As a magazine guy, though, I still think we should do one of those how-to magazines (I just got a pop-up on the MR site for an $8.95 "book" about logging railroad modeling by Jack Work).

We could get rich! Be famous! :)

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
If you use firefox as your browser, there's a free plug in called "zotero" that instantly sets whatever you want into a relational database--word searchable, and it includes images and pdfs. It's free and it's fantastic

http://www.zotero.org/

You can take a snapshot of a page or save the page as a file. It will do exactly what you want

1 - 5 of 5 Posts