G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

With all the good, the bad, and the ugly on the K27 lately I thought it might be interesting to find out how you power your's.Do you run--
1 Track power?

2 Battery power?

3 Or DCC?

Also can you explain what you chose, use [ air wire, rcs, which decoders etc.] and why.

Thanks Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
#3, I use NCE 4amp motor decoder and Phoenix P5, using an NCE 10 amp wireless system.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Remove the gearbox cover, prop the gearbox clear, remove main rods and eccentric rod, place cardboard over windows, haul dead in consist.

Oh, wait........

As with all products from this company, to prevent power issues from plating falling or wearing off drivers, pickups or springs for same failing, and/or wires to pickups fialing, radio/battery, only and ever.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
When I get one, it will be battery RC just like all the rest of my locos ...

Regards ... Doug

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You guys know all the little things published on the K that needed "attention"?

You know that the list is not complete?

With the current draw that can be associated with this engine, be prepared.

When they told me to "go away", I decided not to pursue the necessary "fixes" and approval.
I did, however, send in the parts from at least one locomotive so they would know.

I will let JD Miller fulfill his obligations and generate the necessary fixes.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Digitrax DG853S in the boiler for motor, smoke and fan
Digitrax K1 on the smoke-box door for headlights and markers.
Digitrax TF4 on the firebox for flicker and cab light
Digitrax SounndBug in the tender driving two speakers.
Digitrax K1 in the tender for backup lights and rear marker lanterns.

Why? I created a 2 wire track bus with feeders that have a 2 pin plug for each part of the loco for ease of disassembly. The loco and tender each have their own bus so no wires go between the loco and tender. The chuff signal from the loco goes through the draw-bar to the tender.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I don't remember, but they exactly fit the pre-molded position in the floor. They were long throw, 1 watt, 4 ohm and wired in series.
You can hear the results here.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
My K-27 is live steam. To enhance the chuff, I've installed a Bark Box, which you can hear on this video:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts