G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that the details on Aristo and USA diesels can be prone to damage. If true, this could be a problem for me since I have to store my trains when the layout isn't set up.

How do you handle equipment to minimize damage?

Jeff C

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I run my trains into the garage on a siding. I have a lift out (makeshift) bridge from the opening to another siding on the railroad. When I run trains, I open the train door and put the bridge in. The trains run out then back in when I'm finished. The siding in the garage runs along the side (two tracks there) and around the front of the garage. I also have some shelving on the walls to store the
additional equipment when they are not on the track. Had some problems, but nothing major. Works for me quite well. Got tried of hauling them in and out.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
How do you handle equipment to minimize damage?
Jeff C

Well, we live in a pretty small mud hut here in rural East Anglia and my train-storage room is upstairs while the backyard is downstairs.

I have fifteen big Aristo dismals, and a few USA Trains ditto, one of each of the Bachmann geared locos and a Connie, an Accucraft K-27, four Gauge I steamers and an Accucraft Shay and Garratt - total weight of around a quarter of a ton.

When we run our trains, I have to carry them from up there to down here, and it's a RPITA, as well as having to be done VERY carefully.

The steamies all have carry boxes, but the Garratt plus its box weighs nigh-on fifty pounds in old money - EVERYTHING is done carefully, bleeve me.

Then there are the 100+ cars.......

tac

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you don't feel like building boxes, you can easily put together something like this for transport from storage:

The removable end block...

slides under the back end to hold it up to roll the loco off. The underside of the front is tapered down to facilitate the rolloff.

I marked the tray at the best points for the block support for specific locos...

Assemble and set up your loco on the tray and away you go. You could steam up on this too.

Versions of these are commercially available too.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
I use plastic tubs, with snap on tops that I got at Walmart. Some bubble wrap is laying in there to place at areas to prevent rubbing. Some of the larger tubs have wheels on the bottom, so you could look for that. Or, just put the tub in your wheelbarrow. I just carry my tubs over to the shed that is about 60' from my railroad. Keeps them dust free and the mice don't get on them! Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Very nice tote Skip! Makes me think of combing a display case with a tote.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
It was far easier for us to buy another house that had room for trains.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
A big ol rolling toolbox...

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
There's a fellow in Gibsonville NC who has a hobby shop a few blocks from a garden layout the town let him build right next to the main line in a park..... he uses a garden tractor and several trailers (looks like an airport baggage train when moving) to move several dozen pieces at once .... the cars sit in racks in the trailer, and each trailer can carry quite a lot of cars... perhaps 8 to a tray and 10 or so trays tall.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Here's a link to a PDF file that has various posts from the MLS archives.

Rolling Stock Carriers
File Format=PDF / File Size - 1.6MB
(Left-click to open / Right-click to Download)

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Seeeeeeee I told you all that Shad has trains......

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Oh, I thought those were for hauling daughters.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I heard rumor that Shad may be a daddy again????

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Have you checked out the Martin TrakrTotes at [email protected]/? They are customized to the length of your loco or locomotives. They work for either track powered locos, onboard battery, or live steam locos. TrakrTotes even make getting train cars on the track easier:), and if you get a derailment, pull the derailed loco onto the TrakrTote, and right back on the track. They are amazing.:)

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
For about $20 worth of poplar and some hardware from Lowe's you can create a custom carrier for any locomotive. I made this one for my live steam K-27 locomotive, which weighs about 30 pounds. I tote the tender in a padded, plastic tool box. The handle also protects the loco in a roll over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Jack. This box holds the weight of the trains? Seems like with such a small bottom board, the weight would make it open, and drop the train without braceing. Although, I love your idea, I am just concerned about it falling out while I am walking to the house. I was looking at your pictures, and thought, what if the train rolled up into the box, but about three or four inches into the box, it had a solid floor. Since the train is not touching the track at this point, it could easily roll out onto the "track" part of the wood, and then the track, and still have a stable bottom. I mean, you use a thick piece of wood for the front and back of the box, so, I doubt it would bow apart like a wishbone any, but I would hate for the bottome to break off, or bow outwards due to the weight. Just a thought. Nice box, I am planning on building one soon.

Thanks,
Jason.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 08/01/2008 6:35 PM
I heard rumor that Shad may be a daddy again????

Oh **** no!!! I'm very much done thank you.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
This is how i take my engines and cars in and out the house ,this cart was made from an old hand truck, it carries 2 engines and 15 cars. ben

1 - 20 of 24 Posts