G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Other than curiosity, why do you ask? I admit, I'm rather curious to see the results myself, but I don't know what I'd do with the information. :)

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
The results might be interesting, and the "why" as well.
We live in a semi-rural area in a state (Vermont) considered "rural" by most standards. Dirt roads, coyotes in the back yard, hawks preying on birds at the feeders, that kind of stuff .Our DirecTV satellite service is great, but weather sensitive around here; the area cable company, when I asked when they were coming down my dirt road, said in so many words, "not in your lifetime". So, when the family-owned small telephone company that services our town (pop. 700) offered DSL, we traded up from dialup. That was the only real choice for us.

Larry

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Ken

The info is very helpful in deciding the acceptable limits for posting things like photos to the forum. Those on dialup have a difficult time with anything beyond text or small pictures while there is constant pressure from those on highs speed connections to more fully exploit the technology.

Regards ... Doug

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I was still on snail-fast dail-up till two years ago, but even now DSL service is getting noticably slower, its not the service, its the shear size of some websites.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I pick up the phone and call Algore.
He does it for me.

·
Super Modulator
21,357 Posts
Premium "level" with my cable company, 2 megabits up, 14 megabits down... $40 a month.

Good enough to watch 8 cameras remotely (next remote control of the trains!)

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
None of the above - T1 line.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Don't know what happened to my reply the first time. Clicked on a radio button choice, and the whole reply was gone. Let me try this again. I'll try to get as close to the original message as possible.

Still on dialup. Our computer is so old that it probably should run on steam, but it does use electricity. DSL was pitched to us a few years ago, but then Verizon told us that they could not support anything older than a Pentium 4. You guessed it, we own a Pentium 3.

As for the cable prices in our area, well my opinion of them is that at least Jesse James had the decency to use a gun when he robbed people like that.

My wife and I both have low-paying jobs right now, so there is no new computer in the near future. We will muddle through. I just play a few games of Solitaire while I wait for the pictures to download, I can view the videos from my computer at work.

Sorry to sound so gloomy. It's not my usual disposition.

Yours,
David Meashey

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Still stuck with dialup here. Finally got a new computer last year, so at least there's a chance. When I move up it'll be to DSL. Cable company wants an arm, a leg and a couple internal organs for Roadrunner. 

Main thing that's keeping me from getting DSL right now is money, also I haven't been able to find out how it'll affect my AOL -- need to keep AOL so I can keep my email address.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I still use the dial up, it's low cost and I'm not going to spend a lot of money on a newer computer and more money on the high speed when it can go to paying bills and some left for trains. I get done what I want to do on this one just fine. Jake

1 - 20 of 71 Posts