G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shad or any Moderator,

How do I update portions of my profile??

I want to change what appears at the footer of my posts. I see that some people have been able to enter a picture/herald in the footer.

Now that I have a herald for my GRR I would like to be able to include it in the footer.

I looked at my profile, but I am unable to figure out what to do or even how I did it in the first place.

If necessary I could include the information in the body of a post to be placed in the footer by one of you, but I thought it would be something that a memeber might do for themselves.

Thanks for any information,
Bob

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Bob,

If you click on your name and look at your profile, there's an "Edit Profile" link ion the left. The Edit page includes "Signature", where you place whatever you want to show.

The trick is that you have to copy in some HTML code to show your railroad logo. What you do is:
- make up the signature in an ordinary post (but don't 'submit' it.)  Like the 'New Railroad Logo' thread, but perhaps a little smaller.
- open another window with your profile in it and click the 'edit' link to show the sig block.
- go back to your ordinary post, and click the view as 'HTML' at the bottom
- copy the HTML from that window to the sig block.

Then cancel your ordinary post and click 'Update Profile' at the bottom of your edit page.

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
Relavent section on Sigs from The Rules[/b][/b]...

4.0 - Signatures & Avatars:

4.1 - Signature images are limited in physical size to a maximum of 500 pixels wide by 120 pixels high.

4.2 - Signature images are further limited in file size to a maximum of 25 kilobytes.

4.3 - Signatures with an image 100 pixels or more high are limited to one line of text above or below the image.

4.4 - Members are asked to voluntarily refrain from using animated gifs in their signatures (this one also applies to Avatars).

4.5 - Blank lines above and below the sig should be eliminated.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pete & Dwight,

Thanks for the information. It will take me a while to work it out but, I think I can, I think I can. I just need another 24 hours in each day.

One question, once I update the signature does it go back and update to old posts as well? It seems to me that is what happened a couple of years ago when I changed something in my old signature, before Shad updated the website format. Just curious not critical knowledge.

Question answered, Duh.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
Looks good Bob - except the file size on the image is too large... over 45kb, 20+ kb over the limit. That's because its a bitmap. Resave it as a JPG and your problem should be solved.

I also took the liberty of cleaning up your sig code a little. Not sure why all the DIVs and QUOTES were in there, but they are unnecessary and cause the sig to take more real estate than required. :)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Bob, try putting the text beside the image like this:

Established 1999 - Relocated 2006
In the Cape Fear River Basin
SA# 3141

To do this, I put:

img src="http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/bobrich/SM&S%20RR%20Emblem%20post%201.bmp" align="left"

Inside < and > (shift comma and shift period).

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dwight,

Thanks for the clean up. I couldn’t quickly figure out how to do that, so I was going to try this evening.

Tom,

Yes that is much better with the herald on the left and the script on the right. I will try to make it work tonight.

Thanks guys,
Bob

PS. I got the jpeg picture in the post as well as the shift to the left.

Dwight is this OK now?

Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts