G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone out there,
I am new to MLS but not to the hobby. My question is simple. I am looking for advice on how to keep my Accucraft Loco's on track? I have a C-21, K-28, K-36, & K-37. All are electric track powered and no modifications other then sound. All but the K-28 seem to prefer being off the track then on. This is very frustrating
. Before I just shelve them for decoration. OH!!! I did that already. Can anyone help.
I have heard of modifying the suspension of the drivers by removing springs
I have heard of modifying the spring on the pilot truck.
I have now heard of tapering the wheels on the pilot truck with a metal lathe in order for the pilot truck to track similar to the prototype.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Welcome:

I have an Accuaraft K-27 and a K-28. My problem was with the 28. I never had any problems with the 27. It took me two years of tweaking the track and the 28 before it would go around once. These are long locomotives and the radius of your track is a critical factor. Mine is 5' radius. the larger the better. You do not say what your radius is or where they derail. If the track is not level (across) they will ride up and over the rails. These engines require very good track work. The modification that I did to the 28 was to remove two of the three springs in each axle box. I left only the center spring. It is still stiff. These engines are a real contrast with the Bachmann K-27. The suspension system in these engines is fantastic. They appear to take on all my track bed can give out. I wish Accucraft had made their suspension system with springs that spring.

Your first effort will be to get your track work as level as possible. Then ;you may need to work on the engines.

Hope this helps.

Chuck N

·
Premium Member
394 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello again,

Thanks for the help.

All my radii are all 10' minimum. I did not mention that the drivers never come off on any of the locos. The problems seem to be around the pilot on the locos on curves and straights. The 28 is the best and handles like a dream. The c-21 makes me nuts. Having a
Connie that goes over anything and everything is such a downer when I bring my flagships out to play. I am considering messing with the springs a little on the drivers and will try that method. It only makes sense to make the suspension float over the track instead of rocking back and forth.

If I increase the spring pressure on the front pilot will that help? Or will it just make the whole loco rock back and forth front to back.

Thanks

Glen

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By CLRRNG on 09/26/2008 7:14 PM
Hello again,

Thanks for the help.

All my radii are all 10' minimum. I did not mention that the drivers never come off on any of the locos. The problems seem to be around the pilot on the locos on curves and straights. The 28 is the best and handles like a dream. The c-21 makes me nuts. Having a
Connie that goes over anything and everything is such a downer when I bring my flagships out to play. I am considering messing with the springs a little on the drivers and will try that method. It only makes sense to make the suspension float over the track instead of rocking back and forth.

If I increase the spring pressure on the front pilot will that help? Or will it just make the whole loco rock back and forth front to back.

Thanks

Glen

Hi Glen. Glad you clarified the problem. I have the same locomotives that you have except in live steam. Accucraft pilot wheels are notorious for derailing. It seems with every engine they tried something different. One solution I have not tried is to send the wheels off to have the proper contour put on the wheels or replacing them. RGSRR Hobbies in Ridgway, Co does this work as do some others My K28 also handles well without any mods. My C21 was the worst. On most of these engines just cut off the spring to reduce tension and then add weight as in lead weight. My K27 had too much tension on both the pilot and trailing wheels. The C21 is another matter. I went to Ace Hardware and got some softer springs then added as much lead weight as I could cram on it. I also lowered the front screw that limits the downward motion of the truck. I had problems with my Connie pilot wheel also(battery op) and had to add weight to it. Increasing the spring pressure makes it harder for the truck to swivel and actually makes the problem worse I believe. It really isn't necessary to go to all the trouble to redoo all the suspension on these engines unless you just like to tinker. Personally I prefer to run them. I have a battery powered C19 that I have never really solved. But it doesn't matter right now as it has slipped a set screw in the drive train for the fifth time and is on the shelf until I have nothing else to do. I am really tired ot tearing it down to fix it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts