G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add interior lights to my North Pole & Southern Bachmann passenger coaches. The roof looks like it is removable but I don't want to break anything snapping it off. With all the talent on these boards I know some of you have done this and can give me the steps. I also have a J&S Rio Grande set of coaches with battery lighting that I want to change as well.

Thanks a million!!!!!!!

Paul H

·
Premium Member
6,167 Posts
Paul,

Turn it upside down (on a towel) and you'll find a row of screws along the edge of the bottom, near the sides. Take them all out. Then there are 2 tabs at each end - gently ease them out with a screwdriver and the top will pop off the bottom.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete.

So this will gain me access to the interior to add lights to the inside of the roof?

Paul H

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Thats right, you remove the base plate with the trucks, air lines etc and there will be a molded insert with the seats, plus the stove and toilet inserts. Make sure you have the stove chimney in the right spot when you reassemble. You can then remove the roof. Bachmann coaches with lights have two copper strips up the side in the middle to feed power and plastic inserts to hold the lights and also secure the celestory window glazing. I usually run the wires inside the toilet when retro fitting. The plastick holding the celestory glazing should have locations for the lights to be installed. Have fun...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts