G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody double head Aristocraft and USA Trains loco's together, how compatible are they, do they run well together. I have a loco kitbashing project coming up, the finished product will have to be able to multiple unit with an Aristocraft E8 so I need to know if I can use either a Aristo or USA 3 axle motor block with complete compatibilty or should I stick with Aristo?
That will all depend on which motor block I can get as a spare part as well I suppose.
Thanks for any responce's.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By Budd on 04/15/2008 3:15 AM
Does anybody double head Aristocraft and USA Trains loco's together, how compatible are they, do they run well together. I have a loco kitbashing project coming up, the finished product will have to be able to multiple unit with an Aristocraft E8 so I need to know if I can use either a Aristo or USA 3 axle motor block with complete compatibilty or should I stick with Aristo?
That will all depend on which motor block I can get as a spare part as well I suppose.
Thanks for any responce's.

Sir, this subject has been covered extensively in the last year or so, and can be found by carrying out a thread search.

Basically, unless you have a DCC type system, with independent loco control, USA Trains and Aristocraft locos, particularly the big three-axle diesels, do not run well together. I have found that the volts/amps that make an Aristocraft Dash 9 romp away with a reasonable consist barely gets an SD40 to move. This is not necessarily caused by the disparity in the motor efficiency, although it is generally accepted that Aristocraft motors ARE more efficient and less power hungry, but the fact that the USA Trains incandescent lighting sets draw a very large amount of current compared with the ultra-low voltage LEDs found in Aristocraft's models.

Anyhow, a read of the thread should give you a better idea than my ramblings.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
For a given voltage, the SD-45 is slower than the SD-40. I haven't compared the current draw of the motors and light current is on no consequence to me since I convert everything to LEDs. I run everything on battery power.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Hmmmmm. That's odd. I can start any TWO of my SD-45's moving before one of my SD-40 has its lights on.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

Guess it must be the British weather, eh?:)

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I am not talking about the limitations of internal electronics. My comparison is based on how fast the locomotive runs with 14.4 volts applied. The SD-45 is quite a bit slower. I have not compared the individual speed curves.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
The USA GP30 runs approximately 25% faster than the Aristo SD45. I have not run the Gp30 with the FA/FBs [either new or old].
JimC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts