G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Three simple catagories.

WHO  STARTED WITH   TRACK POWER AND WENT TO   BATTERY ?

WHO STARTED  RIGHT  OFF  WITH  BATTERY POWER?

WHO STARTED RIGHT OFF  WITH   LIVE STEAM? 

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Started with battery (Original Bachman Big Haulers) then added live steam.
The old Big Haulers still put on a few miles each year, good for something running while doing yard work.

Harvey C.
SA1838

·
Super Modulator
21,056 Posts
not me

not me

not me

Knew I would have lots of locos, and need to run longer than battery, and want remote control, and want it in even small locos with no room for battery. Went DCC and loving it.

Greg (ha ha ha) (there are other options than battery)

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Started off in 1990 with the bachman Big Hauler battery trainset ($50 at TOYS R US) .Had gone to that store to purchase birthday presents for our son and had just finished reading an article in MR by Russ Larson on "garden railroading". Saw the trainset for $50 and said "what the heck" I'll give it a try. Being in HO for 30 years at the time I thought I knew what I was doing when in fact I knew nothing about outdoor railroading. I knew brass track was hard to keep clean in a basement so i thought outdoors it could only be worse so I went with 250 aluminum to replace the Bachman track (including the additional 100 pieces of plastic track I bought). Between the tight curves & sloping backyard I didn't have much luck with the Big Hauler (front trucks kept derailig as well) so I bought an Aristo FA & later a RS-3. The 250 wasn't working out too well (between the temp changes, kids in backyard & 100lb Retriever) so I changed over to 332 aluminum. Not knowing about railclamps, unable to solder the joints, track power wasn't working out too well so I then converted over to Aristo brass (still in the dark about advantage of railclamps). Eng's performed a lot better but still problems, purchased a bunch of railclamps and things got a lot better. Mainline was working ok, but the branch line was still aluminum & giving me problems. Read about RCS & battery operation, contacted Don Sweet and converted the 2 Aristo engs over & started enjoying the hobby. In the meantime though my son started in the hobby with a Lil Critter and NW-2 so maintaing track power became an issue again. Time has passed, he is off to college so the railroad is all mine again. I'm waiting on a Federal Grant (tax return) which will be used to convert the NW2 over to RCS with sound. The Critter will emain track powered & used on a 30' branch used to service a gravel pit. The rest of the railroad was changed from a dogbone to a longer point to loop mainline with a town at each end plus 2 more in between. Batery power allows for such nice operation. Bottom line is I rushed into things without proper research, wasted a lot of time & money in the process, therefore anybody just starting out, don't make the same mistake I made, take your time and do your homework to figure out what you really want & how you want to do it. I was on a small hobby budget and could be a lot farther ahead today if i had researched things out before rushing ahead.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Started in Live Steam... I have now dabbled in Live Diesel and built a battery car to hold 14 AAA batteries for a Charlie Brown and Lucy, "Peanuts" (tm) motorcycle (LGB) just to do something "different".

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Track power to battery/RC. No regrets, I never enjoyed reverse loop wiring, etc :)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Track power then changed to R/C.

Oh, you mean way back? Kid powered originally:D

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Started with track power and Bachmann Big Hauler about 1987-8?
Always thought it would be neat to power lokies with batteries even years ago when I was in HO and On3. Of course batteries were too big and not advanced enough to make it happen then.
Went with wetcell batteries and Locolinc R/C with Phoenix Sound about 1996. Worked well but the small wetcells that could fit into my lokies only had limited run time. Still a great improvement over cleaning track however. I like locomotives to be self contained so trail cars weren't for me.
Converted to NiMH batteries about 2003 still with same old Locolinc R/C and Phoenix. Much improved run times perfect for my type of operation.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Track to battery after the second year and couldn't be happier.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Started off in track power, stayed that way a long long time, got a live steamer, stuck with track power.

Too many locos and train combinations, no desire to have the same battery car behind every loco. 

Went Stainless after second outdoor railroad made with brass track became too time consuming to be fun.

Mark

·
Registered
258 Posts
Track power for 22 years.
Started in 1986.
Last year started the conversion of several units to Batt/RC.
Now battery power outside and track/batt inside.
jb

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I started with track power, then could not get the FA to run after about a year(bad wheels-factory defect I found out about later) so switched to battery. Then got into live steam. Recently I got the Burlington Zephyr and resurrected a loop of track power, but getting tired of cleaning track already,(NS code 250) so it may get the battery conversion soon. Jerry

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Track power to live steam. Still run track power occaisionally with no problem. A couple of swipes with a dry pole sander while I get the leaves and limbs off the track and I'm good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I started with track power, like most. I still run track power, 9 years now. Track is never a problem (LGB brass w/ Split-Jaws), other than cleaning. It is the cheap locomotives that usually go south elelctrically. Then you convert them to battery power.

I love battery power for the ease of running. Just plop it down and away you go.

I still like track power for long term continuous running. For an open house, I typically run one loco on track power, running around the loop at a steady pace, while a Critter Control battery powered loco runs on the same loop, making station stops.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Started with plain DC and then upgraded to DCC. I have no plans to ever change. Radio controled DCC gives me all the options and control I can use.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts