Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this very interesting. I am surprised that Dwight has not posted this

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
cool!

Ithaca NY has a scale model of the solar system..
the sun is about a foot across, then mercury, venus, earth and mars are nearby..(earth is about the size of a BB)
then you have to walk several blocks to get to jupiter and saturn..pluto is about a mile away..

http://stephenfrug.blogspot.com/2006/12/carl-sagans-ithaca-memorial.html

(there are a few other scale solar systems around the country..and the world)

Scot

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
There's a scale model of the solar system in Peoria. The sun is the dome of the planitarium by the river. The planets are scattered throughout the city. Earth is inside a shop near the back.

Amazing, isn't it? He could have made the earth, and put a heater nearby to keep it warm, but he made it so big it has to be 100 million miles away. And that's an itty bitty one:eek:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Is it real or just 1:29 JJ? lol

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Posted By Torby on 04/03/2009 7:07 AM
There's a scale model of the solar system in Peoria. The sun is the dome of the planitarium by the river. The planets are scattered throughout the city. Earth is inside a shop near the back.

Amazing, isn't it? He could have made the earth, and put a heater nearby to keep it warm, but he made it so big it has to be 100 million miles away. And that's an itty bitty one:eek:

Peoria used to have the largest scale model of the solar system:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11386

but now there is a larger one in Maine!

http://www.umpi.maine.edu/info/nmms/solar/sunnow.htm

(notice the link "to mercury" at the bottom of the page)

and the largest model of the solar system in the world is in progress in Sweden, but not yet complete:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_Solar_System
so for now, Maine still holds the record..
http://ttt.astro.su.se/swesolsyst/
http://www.umpi.maine.edu/info/nmms/solar/
Scot

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thank you JJ!!!

That is a very interesting series of pictures. The names of the stars I always associate with the books of E.E.Smith Ph.D... I always loved the Rigellians -especially his description of the "normal" mode of Rigellian driving!!! When the driver is blind and deaf and the highly dented car is made of 1.5 inch thick steel. The following line has always been used by my friends as a "tease".

"Atmospheric Vibrations? Atmospheric VIBRATIONS?? Atmospheric vibrations???"

regards

ralph

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
That's a wonderful representation - I'd never seen it taken as far as Antares! Perhaps an alternative title for this string could "How small we are." Makes the pre-Copernicus/Galileo "theory" of geocentrism (i.e., that the earth is the center of the universe) seem especially absurd.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Two comments...

Every time I see a new drawing of the Milkway galaxy that shows the relative position of the Solar system, its position is very different from the previous drawing. Sometimes it is shown as being way out on the end of one of the spiral arms and sometimes it is very much closer to the center. Do any astromomers REALLY know where it is?

Seems strange to me that when I look up at the night sky I don't see that huge mass of stars in the center of the Milkyway galaxy. I recognize that there might be more stars in the center of a galaxy, but those drawings always show it as such a huge mass.

Compare the number of stars that the drawings show to lights in a city. "IN" the city you can see the individual lights that are relatively close but the farther away ones are quite dim and indistinct. Fly away from the city and the lights all combine into one mass of lights, but the entire mass becomes extremely small as you move farther away.

That mass of stars in the drawing would have to fill almost the entire night sky during about 1/2 of the year and I have never seen such a mass. Yes, I have been in the totally dark countryside and looked at various times of the year and they just do not exist as the drawing suggests.

One more thing... as to the "center" of it all.

Have you ever played with an old mechanical clock with lots of gears? Two plates with multiple gears suspended on axles between them, each gear meshing with two other gears such that they all turn when one turns. Usually there is a key of some sort sticking out one side to wind the mainspring. Each gear revolves on its own axle and some revolve on just one concentric axle (Hour, minute and second hands).

(Imaging breaking the Escapement mechanism such that when you wind the mainspring the clock will run at max speed to unwind it... this makes it easier to imagine the interactions of the gears... or go get a clock and do it for real!)

If you hang onto the hour hand such that it is the "Center" of this 2 dimensional "Clock universe" that the two plates, axles and gears move in. Everything orbits that "center" while at the same time orbiting on their own (axle).

Now, instead, grasp the key for winding the mainspring. It is turning as the gears turn to unwind the spring. The whole "Clock universe" will now orbit around that "center". If you could extend any of the other axles such that you could hold this "Clock universe" by that point, the rest of the components would orbit that center while still orbiting their own axle.

Toss the whole thing into the air, giving it some spin in some odd direction. There will be a "center" to that spin you just gave it and that would then be the center that the whole thing is orbiting about.

BUT, to any "Clock being" living on any one of the gears, the center of their perceived "Clock universe" would be the axle that their gear is rotating on.

If the Earth we are living on is rotating on its "axis" then is not the Earth is the center of our Universe?

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Now, no one has tried to insert their big boy or triplex...

shame... would make a difference.

gg

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
Sometimes it is shown as being way out on the end of one of the spiral arms and sometimes it is very much closer to the center. Do any astronomers REALLY know where it is?
Roughly 2/3 the way out from the galactic center. BTW, it was only recently discovered that our Milky Way is a "barred spiral." Older illustrations don't show the bar in the center.
Seems strange to me that when I look up at the night sky I don't see that huge mass of stars in the center of the Milky Way galaxy.
The intervening distance between Earth and the galactic center is full of dust and gas which blocks much (most) of the visible light. Look at an infrared photo from Spitzer sometime. Even more impressive images will be available once the James Webb telescope launches in 2013 with a 21.5 foot diameter aperture.
That mass of stars in the drawing would have to fill almost the entire night sky during about 1/2 of the year and I have never seen such a mass. Yes, I have been in the totally dark countryside and looked at various times of the year and they just do not exist as the drawing suggests.
The naked eye with the best visual acuity is limited to seeing magnitude 6.6 to 7.0 under ideal conditions. It takes a 20" scope to see 19th magnitude stars. Fainter stars require en even bigger scope. Bottom line, they are there, but are just too distant and dim for your eye to detect. Also, as I said before, our galaxy is full of dust and gas - the stuff of future generations of stars - which blocks much of the light when looking towards our own galaxy. Much of the really distant stuff we can therefore see is in directions away from the center or above or below same.
If the Earth we are living on is rotating on its "axis" then is not the Earth is the center of our Universe?
Ahhhh... a philosophical question! This same question was "at the center" of astrology falling into disfavor during "the Enlightenment." A question well worth pondering. :)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
They really don't agree whether or not the earth is or isn't center of the earth. I do think Geocentrists make a great case for the earth being the center of the universe.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I have known an awful lot of folk that believe the Universe rotates around themselves.

Thus I have come to the conclusion that the Universe is multi-centered....

(Put that in your smoke and pipe it!) Oops... I forgot to add a smelly to soften that Spoonerism. I wasn' trying to be obnoxious, it just comes naturally!
)

There, that is two of them to make up for it.

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
I do think Geocentrists make a great case for the earth being the center of the universe.
Geocentrists as in who? I have never met anyone who still thinks earth is the center of the Universe. Then again, I've never met anyone who still believes the earth is flat either, but I hear they still exist. :) I HAVE met people who believe some very peculiar things (by general definition), and I have no doubt that some of my own beliefs would be held to be very peculiar by general definition as well. hehehe
I have known an awful lot of folk that believe the Universe rotates around themselves.
Ain't that the sad truth (boy, could I ever run with THIS one - but I won't get political)!!!! ;)
Thus I have come to the conclusion that the Universe is multi-centered....
More and more, quantum mechanics and cosmology are embracing the idea of a "multi-verse" though there are still several possible definitions. Personally, I find it immensely fascinating that the more we learn, the more "the truth" resembles what mystics have been saying for thousands of years... the real difference being that rather than having an inner experience, science arrives at similar conclusions via complex mathematical equations.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Dwight - As Im sure you know, the universe is finite but unbounded. Therefore all places are the center of the universe - including the Earth. Or you can say there is no center of the universe - its all the center. Of course, that is not the context that a geocentrist uses.

On the other hand, did you know that there are only 10 kinds of people in the world? The ones who know binary, and the ones that don't.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By John Allman on 04/25/2009 8:53 AM
Dwight - As Im sure you know, the universe is finite but unbounded. Therefore all places are the center of the universe - including the Earth. Or you can say there is no center of the universe - its all the center. Of course, that is not the context that a geocentrist uses.

On the other hand, did you know that there are only 10 kinds of people in the world? The ones who know binary, and the ones that don't.

"finite but unbounded" seems to be a bit of an oxymoron... like "Military Intelligence" or "Jumbo Shrimp", or "Microsoft Works".

It is a bit embarrassing to admit this, after 40 years as a programmer, one who invented programming languages and operating systems and considered himself as a "bit pusher" (machine language programmer) and could add, subtract, multiply and divide in binary (in my head!)... I had to have that (10 kinds of people) joke explained to me!
(Embarrassing, I tell ya, embarrassing!)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts