G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Houston area G Gaughers had their monthly meeting at the Stratton's and their new Garden Railroad. Beautiful setting and plenty of track to run battery controlled and live steam railroads.
Good food and beautiful warm Houston weather.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Keith is just getting started as you can see, but has done a beautful job laying his track. For the elevated sections he is using pvc 1"x2" trim he found at Home Depot. It is screwed to 1-1/4" schedule 40 pvc pipe anchored in the ground. His track is then screwed to it. Looks like an excellent solution. His track goes into the garage through a 'doggy door' where he stores the trains in a small yard on the floor and on shelves above. Just wondering if anyone else has discovered and installed this type of elevated track system. The ground part is free floating on a decomposed granite base held in place with pvc edging. Keith screens the decomposed granite to get the consistent looking ballast. His yard was beautifully landscaped and the Strattons were gracious hosts to our meeting. Thanks for the pics and video Art.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Way to go Keith!! Just AWESOME!!!

Yep, That's it... AWESOME...

Your on your way now Buddy!!! Have fun!!

( you need to bring your club for a working weekend, to My place!!!!!!)

Dirk

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Thanks for the supportive comments, it makes all that blood, sweat and tears all worthwhile.
I've been involved with the hobby about 4 years now but this is my first layout, and we drove in the 'golden spike' (screw actually) on the Thursday just before the club meet. I have to thank Otto from our club for volunteering us for the May meeting... you have no idea how much motivation that provided, as otherwise it would have been fall before we were up and running! It was so nice to have people visit, as all too often we are a solitary bunch as we ply our craft in our workshops and yards. I now have a much greater appreciation for those who host club meetings and open houses... it takes a lot of preparation!

The idea for the elevated track came to me while walking the isles of Home Depot, as I often do. Looking forward to a good rain to see how the ballast reacts and where major shore-ups will be needed.

Now for some operations!

Keith 'off-the-rails' Stratton
CCO (Chief Custodial Officer)
KD Rail

1 - 4 of 4 Posts