G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, is there any household products that will blacken or tarnish brass? The local hobby shop doesn't have blacken it or anything close, and paint just looks bad. I didn't want to order it because shipping is a killer anymore, especially for the tiny bit that i would need, so i was hoping that someone knew a trick with some home products.
Thanks!
Terry

·
Registered
733 Posts
The quick answer is -no.... Most blackeners use Selenium compounds to deposit it onto the metal -this then very rapidly oxidises to Selenium Oxide -black. UNFORTUNATELY Selenium is toxic -thus is not found in common chemicals.

regards

ralph

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Ralph I once kept some nickel silver bits in an old Branston pickle jar, yes it had been rinsed out, they turned black fairly quickly from the fumes!
Now I'm worried what is in Branston pickle/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif
Rod

·
Registered
733 Posts
Rod,

It would have been the ethanoic acid from the vinegar. This would have attacked the copper in the alloy turning it into copper ethanoate this would then have oxidised to black copper(2) oxide. This would not have happened with brass because of the zinc content, zinc being higher up the electrochemical series would be attacked first. MOST common zinc compounds are colourless.

Like the phosphoric acid in cola, and the cyanides in pine wood furniture -simply one of those things.... Oh -try the penny in the HP sauce trick -a variation on it is what I use to clean the copper connectors on my magneto!!! (I use ASDA brown sauce)

regards

ralph

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Regular clear vinegar will tarnish brass.  It produces a mottled, varied dark color which looks very nice.  It kind of looks like hardened steel.  Completely clean the part and soak in vinegar.  It takes a couple of days to work

Bob

G

·
0 Posts
or get some sulfur. it is not really a household item, but you put one of those yellow stones in some water, smear it on your brass and wait. when it got the colour you like, just rinse with water. depending on time it can be dark steel blue or dark brown.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
I prefer Pewter Black to Blacken-It. I've found it works better and I can also reuse (time after time) the liquid from Pewter Black but with Blacken-It once used it doesn't seem to work any longer.

Anyway, another non-chemical option is to use a permanent black marker, assuming the part doesn't have fine detail you can't get at. If the permanent black marker shows a shine I'll go over it with a little black chalk from Bragdon, unless you want it to look weathered and then I use a little Bragdon rust.

G

·
0 Posts
in shops, that are specialized in medicine. we call them Apotheke in germany, and Farmacia in south america.
might be drugist in english?

look for those, that make their own pomades and health-creams.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Try Formula 409  I had some overspray turn copper pipe blackish.  It was rather fast too.  I think I have some scrap around here somewhere...

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
There is a new blackener that just came out that works great at blackening practically any metal.  And application couldn't be simpler either.  It is called a "Sharpie."     /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
Getting our home built so maybe we can start playing with trains again!
263 Posts
Bleach.  Since a main componenet of brass is copper, beach and copper don't get along very well and will turn black. 

Vinegar? I've always used plain white vinegar to clean certain food surfaces made of brass or copper since cleaners can contaminate the surface and untimately the food.:)

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
What I have been useing for years to blacken metal isn't really a household item.but can be bought at most hardware stores.I use gun blueing which makes the metal black rather than blue and it is cheaper than Blacken it.
                                                                               Fred/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Bet U got a gunshop in, or around smalltown Ohio, bet they'll have a line of 
Birchwood-Casey products that will solve Ur problem very nicely...
Paul R...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Posted By ralphbrades on 02/29/2008 12:49 AM
The quick answer is -no.... Most blackeners use Selenium compounds to deposit it onto the metal -this then very rapidly oxidises to Selenium Oxide -black. UNFORTUNATELY Selenium is toxic -thus is not found in common chemicals.

regards

ralph

NT
Hey, you sound like you know what you are talking about...

You have made me wonder why that fleshy orange coloured glass which I know is produced by selenium oxide is that shade?
A temperature thing maybe?
I know that iron oxide in pot glass can come out: red, orange, brown even green. all depending on temp etc.

black to fleshy orange is wierd.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts