G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're all invited to the 4th annual Christmas train party/Holiday steamup at my place on Saturday December 13th in San Jose, CA. This will be the 6th year we have run our front yard Christmas layout, 5th year since we discovered live steam, 4th year since we were exclusively live steam, and 3rd year of the expanded layout. It's probably the 2nd and 1st year for some other items, but we will leave it at that.

I realize most of you are probably no where near San Jose, but for those that are, or will be on the 13th, please drop me a PM for my address. We would love to have you stop by - and if you can bring a train - even better. For those bringing a train - track is level, 7' min radius (14' dia), with about 300' of running track and plenty of clearance for large trains. This areal from last year should give you a good idea:

hope to see you there!

Mark

·
Registered
620 Posts
I get to nitpick!

It's AERIAL.

Funny thing is I don't feel any better but the pilot probably does.

I wish there was a spell checker on this softwhere.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You really have a nice looking layout. If there was any way I could make to your place I sure would do so.

It must be time to break copies of The Polar Express and Christmas trains.

Wish I were there.

Merry Christmas to all.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
If Cyril Pahinui isn't playing in S.C. that night and if Kauila is finished, I'll be there :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Posted By Shay Gear Head on 12/05/2008 4:44 AM
I get to nitpick!

It's AERIAL.

I think this picture was taken by Mark, using his RC helicopter...

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Posted By Shay Gear Head on 12/05/2008 4:44 AM
I get to nitpick!

It's AERIAL.

Sad thing is I am a pilot and I should know better.....ooops.

As David said, this photo was indeed taken with an RC heli (which I did command, BTW). The FAA kinda frowns on flying this low over populated areas with "real" aircraft.

·
Registered
620 Posts
But the CIA could have taken the photo from a satellite!

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Boy - you're a pilot, fly RC helicopters, and run live steam model locos? What hobbies do you NOT participate in? ;) Cheers, Jon Linde

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Posted By jlinde on 12/06/2008 1:40 PM
Boy - you're a pilot, fly RC helicopters, and run live steam model locos? What hobbies do you NOT participate in? ;)" align="absmiddle" border="0" /> Cheers, Jon Linde

ugh....golf. I don't play golf. There might be something else, but I'm too busy to figure it out. ;-)

Cheers,
Mark

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all who showed up to make today a great time. I probably missed a few, but I counted at least 10 people who brought something to run, plus dozens more who came just to watch. I was quite busy playing host and didn't get to take many photos, but thought I'd share a few....

First an overview shot....the weather was great considering the forecast...windy in the morning then a bit overcast later on, but the rain stayed away and the plumes were great.

A young rail fan gets his first glimpse of live steam!

Eric's modified Conrad escapes from the land of the lost!

Joel's K28 pulls into Big Stomp Station:

And creates an apron of steam as light fades and it prepares to leave:

Hopefully Dwight, David, and others I saw taking pictures will share.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Thanks, Mark,
lovely photos and a lovely railroad. I especially like the logging loco, and the trestle looks great!

Regards,
André,
Norway

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Mark,
I'd like to thank you and your wife Rei (sorry if I mis-spelled her name) for hosting this event. I had a great time and I am already looking forward to next year :)

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Mark,
It looks like everyone had a fantastic time! Boy, I really wish I lived a thousand miles closer so I could attend! Thanks to everybody for sharing the pictures as it allows us "unfortunates" to get a feel for what it was like!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Mark - thanks for hosting the steamup. It was fun meeting you and the rest of the crew. Hope to do it again soon.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Dwight,
Same here. BTW, your cabforward looks better live than it does on your sig.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Mark: Thanks for posting. What a wonderful set-up. Looks like the neighborhood had a great time.

I bet that youngster in the blue specs would have crawled into the Conrad cab, given half a chance.

Thanks again, Bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts