G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to model a Hiawatha from the Milwaukee Road. I'm confused because the Engine is #10 and it is a 4-6-2 similar to the 4-6-4 F7 but it has the body of the early 4-4-2 Atlantics, would this be a F6?

Thanks,

Ed.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi

No, the F6 were 4 6 4's like the F7s, so were BIG loco's!

Milw#10 was a 4 6 0 not a 4 6 2 according the Patrick C Dorin's book on Milwaukee Road passenger trains (with #11 also streamlined to match the Hiawathas).

#11 was class G so it is possible the #10 was also.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Ed

The name Hiawatha was applied to a train and by extension, the art deco styled steam locos that pulled her. The Milwaukee Road streamlined 4 different types of steam locos over the years to pull the various Hiawathas and each loco in turn became known for the Hiawatha shrousing which it carried. For that reason, you will find locos of the 4-4-2, 4-6-0, 4-6-2 and of course the very famous 4-6-4s all called Hiawathas.

Regards ... Doug

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys! Peter your right about it being a 4-6-0 I couldn't see the details in the picture. Could you point me to a picture or information on a class G for details such as Driver size ect?

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi,

Don't know the 'G class' was a collection of various locos dating from 1910 or so, #10 & #11 were the ones that gained a streamline.caot for the their portion of the Hiawatha trains.

However I would send a note to the associations listed on the following weblink -

http://www.mrha.com

That is the 'Milwaukee Road Historical Ass'n' and there are other links there as well.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts