G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I had an HO scale train when I was a kid, but always wanted to do larger trains. I have decided that I would like to do a garden train. Now I know that being in Alaska will have it own special challenges, I'm ok with that. :) I have some ideas, but it will be good to get everyone else's view on them. My main interest is very early American railroads and trains (1830 to 1850). I would like to go with live steam as well, so I will be spending a good deal of time in that forum. I have also decided to do F-scale and standard F-guage for a variaty of reasons. This looks like one of the best forums out on the net for this stuff and it's good to be here. Thanks,

Jason

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Welcome to MLS! You've definitely come to the right place! It just so happens that our very own Masterclass professor, Dave Fletcher, is an afficianado of the 1850's era! You should be able to get some really great information!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jerry, Steve,

I did see the pictures of Ron's layout, unfortunately he is too far away for a quick trip. Steve, I'm tempted to do some of the 1850's stuff, but the earlier trains are calling me. I'm thinking of concentrating first on the 1830's. Although I'm jumping the gun a bit on my first project, a snowplow from the early 1840's. Now to get my questions in order. :)

Jason

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Hi Jason,
Welcome to the MLS Forums, where answers and opinions are plentiful and most of the advice is good.
Not many of us have weather as sever as yours to deal with. Thank goodness
. What is your gardening season,
Part of August?

Having said that, we have plans to visit your fair city next March, Tour guide says -4 to 27 above for that time frame.
What can we really expect for the second week of March?

Thanks for any tips
Rick Marty

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rick,

Actually August gets a bit cold, July is the warm month.

That temperature range sounds about right. Here is a good web site for weather information here at the University I work at.
http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/
I work in a building just behind the building the webcam is in. If you look to the right hand side of the webcam image and select the "Seasonal / annual" link, a page of weather summaries will be displayed. Select the top right image to see a years worth of highs and lows. That should give you a good range of temps. I would dress warmly if I were you, especially if you are not used to the temp. Once you live through -50, 20 above feels really good.

Jason

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Wow! Ron will no longer be the most northern garden railroader.

Pleased to meet you.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Posted By Torby on 06 Oct 2009 04:47 PM
Wow! Ron will no longer be the most northern garden railroader.

Pleased to meet you.

Thanks Torby! Ooops, I didn't mean to take the banner away from Ron, sorry Ron.

Nick - Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Since you're in the neighborhood, you must get down to Copper Center to see Ron's Copper Rail Depot. Google says it's only 259 miles. Through the mountains.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts