G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
That reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask the co-operative extension people. When I was growing up, and even as recently as 15 years ago, you used to seen those big black and yellow "garden" spiders all over the place. But I haven't seen a single one in at least 5 years...where did they all go?

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Check under my shoes. Spiders aren't welcome in my house!!

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
If I was a guy spider, I'm not sure I'd want to get involved with a black widow geep..

G

·
0 Posts
Posted By Mik on 10/08/2008 10:29 PM
That reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask the co-operative extension people. When I was growing up, and even as recently as 15 years ago, you used to seen those big black and yellow "garden" spiders all over the place. But I haven't seen a single one in at least 5 years...where did they all go?

they migrated south to my front porch, down here we call them "writing spiders"...

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Posted By ShadsTrains on 10/09/2008 10:27 AM
If I was a guy spider, I'm not sure I'd want to get involved with a black widow geep..

Most probably haven't noticed it, but the actual spider is also a widow (birds of a feather and all). Note the red hour glass on its abdomem.

So we have a widow courting a widow. Now if Proposition 8 passes here in CA and repeals the rights of gays to marry, scenes like this may disappear.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Posted By Mik on 10/08/2008 10:29 PM

We also used to get these and you are right that I haven't seen any in years.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Toddalin, that is one weird looking black widow. Sure it's a widow?

The web looks right, but I've never seen one with that light tan color and a few black stripes before, almost tiger like. You need an SP tiger stripe geep for that spider

All the black widows I've seen in person are shinny black ones.

Strange one would make its nest so out in the open too. Was the loco stored someplace quiet and dark for a while?

Eeek

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Matt,

We now have a widow called a brown widow. I have killed several around my house in the past several months. They look similar to Todd's spider, but of course, have the large abdomin with the red hour glass. That one may be a juvenile and is not full of eggs yet.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Thanks for the information Greg. I looked online and the brown widow matches exactly the one on the SP geep. Here's the link:

Brown Widow

I never knew these were around California. Haven't seen any that I can remember, but I'll definitely be looking out for them now.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Posted By San Juan on 10/09/2008 8:07 PM
Toddalin, that is one weird looking black widow. Sure it's a widow?

Strange one would make its nest so out in the open too. Was the loco stored someplace quiet and dark for a while?

Eeek

Loco was parked there a matter of moments when the spider started the web. The spider was probably "hitchin' a ride" from within the tunnel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts