G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally finished my BAGRS engine yesterday and ran it for the first time. However, the silicone tubing that I used fit so tightly over the cylinder "spigots" (input/output tubes) that it pulled the input one completely out of the cylinder casting. I don't know if they were press fit, Loctited, or what, but it is now loose. When I ran the engine yesterday it seemed to work fine but it dribbled water out of the hose connection to that input despite having the clamp on.

Can anyone comment on whether there is a way to secure the input barb back in place? Thanks.

· Registered
25 Posts
If it was my engine , I would clean the barb fitting and the location where the fitting goes into the engine and use Red Loctite to secure it. Red Loctite will not come loose again without a large application of heat to remove the fitting. I have had to use a heat gun to remove nuts and bolts for my work process and Red Loctite takes about 550 degrees of heat to break things back down. Should hold things together very well for your process.
I built a BAGRS locomotive some years back, great fun and a very smooth runner. Enjoy.
Charles M

· Registered
1,548 Posts
Red Loctite is a strong thread lock but for this application, I would use a Loctite retaining compound. I use 680 or for superheated steam lines 620 is a higher temp but not quite as strong

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have access to Loctite 680 so I will try that. I can't use much, as if ANY excess gets in there it will lock up the piston. Thanks.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As suggested, I removed the cylinder and then cleaned the area with lacquer thinner. Some Loctite 680, a 24 hour wait period, and that thing is in for good. And slightly less water seepage from the area now. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.