G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on an engine that was writen up in Model Engineer magazine back in the late 1950's. The design for "Newbury" is from J.N Maskelyne. And the articles are by Martin Evans. I have the full size drawings and all the articles except one. That is in the issue from 19 December 1957, on pages 821-822. If anyone knows where I could find a copy of this issue, I'd much appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Dear Mr dhamilton - first of all, welcome to the mls forum - it's always good to see more steamers here, regardless of the scale they model.
As for your request, and since it's a lot easier for me here in UK to do it, I have just emailed the archiving office of the publishers of 'Model Engineer' to see if they can help you. They open at 9am - that's about fifteen minutes to wait, so I'll give em a call as well.

Tuesday morning - 09:23hrs -

OK!!! No hard-copy of the magazine exists in the archives - BUT a photo-copy of the article is on its way to me as we speak - please pm me so I can arrange to get it to you.

Best

tac

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
David - thanks for the pm - as you have not provided an e-mail address, I'll respond here.

It will be sent right to you in the next day or so. Payment can come in the form of a dark blue bottle or two next time we are over at home near Trenton ON.

Take care, eh? ;)

tac

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I built the Newbury about 10 years ago, however I strayed from the instructions. I used Lionel Reproduction wheels for the drivers and the tender wheels, the pilot wheels are Locobox. The valve gear is Roundhouse and the cylinders are built up to my own spec's. The Smoke Lifting ear's are just an added attraction. It has a axle pump with bypass & a hand pump. It is alcohol fired as is the Newbury. It runs very nice & pulls a very big load (SLOW or FAST). It is NAMED (MIDAS) the outer boiler housing is a piece of Midas tailpipe & Bruce Gathman started calling it Midas & it stuck. I have run this loco extensively. It has been run at Diamondhed several times, Denver, Albuqurque, Monticello, Ill, Junction City Kansas, Ron Brown's in New York & at Weltyks, Fullers & the Huckleberry in Mich. It has many, many miles on it.

At speed with coaches

David if you need any copies I can make you copies of my copies, just e-mail me thru MLS. No Blue bottles required.
Larry Herget LS-2173

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Dear Mr Herget - my comment was meant to be a joke. I would have likely to have ever collected on it as I am to being the next pope.

I'll cancel the order here in UK.

tac

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Dear Mr Foley'
My post was also a joke in reply to your joke. So I guess the joke is on both of us. No verbal harm was intended. We only have "medicine" in Blue bottles in the States.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Molsom beer substitute comes in blue bottles in Canada where Mr Hamilton lives.

The 'debt' was to be paid by the usual exchange of this barter.

tac

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If we could connect at Diamondhead I'm sure that something can be arranged. I'm not sure of the bottle colours down there. You may have to settle for brown or green or something.

·
Registered
210 Posts
A set of ME from the late 1970s back to the dawn of time can be found in the library of the Museum of Science and Tech in Ottawa. Your whereabouts is not obvious from your MLS profile, so I don't know how accessable Ottawa is for you.
Regards
David M-K
Ottawa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts